Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccabal

getting ready for spring!

Christian
11 years ago

I planted a few seeds indoors in small pots this weekend, including blue Hubbard, Cinderella pumpkins, and acorn squash. Wanting to try and get a real early start this year,and if it fails, not a big deal, I can just directly seed into the ground mid April. Hopefully I can keep these in pots until mid March, then transplant, and then cover them up on cold nights.
Never grown any C. Maxima before, so really looking forward to it,

Comments (11)

• Christian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

2 blue hubbards came up a few days ago. I have them outside in pots. 1 acorn as well, but the cindarella pumpkins have not germinated yet. Those pots are still inside the house. Its getting pretty nice outside... 70's. I may plant my hubbards in the ground this weekend, and cover them up when it gets too cold at night.

• Christian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I went ahead and planted them in today. Also planted a few extra seeds, of Rouge Vif dEtampes.

Also updated my blog.
    http://cabalgarlandtxgarden.blogspot.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabal Garland TX Garden Blog

• Christian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update... the Rouge VIf dEtampes seedlings have just come up. The Hubbards are starting to develop secondary leaves. Problem is that is going to be pretty cool this weekend, into next week. Upper to mid 30's at night! Uh -oh. I'll be covering them at night the next few days.

• Christian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We had a cold snap.. 2 freezing nights in a row. So I had to cover my plants. But they survived!!
    Here is a picture of the Hubbard squash. Its got 2 secondary leaves. Interestingly enough, I see 2 small shoots starting to develop right at the first leaves, one on each side (they are not visible in the picture)... Now that is strange because I've never seen side shoots develop so quickly... At least not in C. Pepo. Is this common in C. Maxima for them to branch off so quickly?

This post was edited by ccabal on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 11:56

• Christian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The hubbards are growing nicely. Here is a pic from today. I mentioned last time about the side shoots. You can see them in this picture. I also noticed what looks like a tiny flower forming... Interesting that its happening so soon.

I intend to cover these plants with some tulle netting, probably at the end of the month. I have heard that the SVBs love Hubbard squash, and that here in N. Texas they might appear as early as May. But for now I am just leaving them uncovered, but I have mulched their base really well.

• Christian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The hubbards are growing nicely. Here is a pic from today. I mentioned last time about the side shoots. You can see them in this picture. I also noticed what looks like a tiny flower forming... Interesting that its happening so soon.

I intend to cover these plants with some tulle netting, probably at the end of the month. I have heard that the SVBs love Hubbard squash, and that here in N. Texas they might appear as early as May. But for now I am just leaving them uncovered, but I have mulched their base really well.

{{!gwi}}

• Christian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My Hubbards are really starting to take off now. Its been in the mid 80s the past couple days, and the vines are now starting to run, and growing pretty fast. I've begun inspecting them for SVB eggs, but no signs so far, so I have not covered them yet. The acorn squash is starting to vine also, but they look puny next to these C. Maxima vines.

• Christian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, I can see some tiny female flowers forming already!! I am surprised they are coming so early. Here's a pic of 2 of them on the vine tip.

• Christian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Hubbards have escaped their beds now! Here is a pic of them. Again, no signs of SVB eggs yet. Interesting thing is that I have 2 large female flowers about to open. But I have no male flowers at all :(
    But I do see some developing.

• Christian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is a pic of one of my Rouge Vif D'Etampes. Its also growing pretty big now, but just beginning to vine. I also have it mulched pretty well with grass clippings. Its growing among some spinach and collards which should be done harvesting in a few weeks.

This post was edited by ccabal on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 0:43

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz