Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow mottled leaves

Posted by farnell 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 1:11

Any ideas on this? It kind of looks like a picture I found that was diagnosed as Mosaic Virus but I hope it's not. It is a Queen Table Acorn squash plant. I hope it may just be to much fertilizer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow mottled leaves

A couple questions -

1. Is this the first time you are growing squash? If you've grown it before, did you have trouble before?

2. Do all your plants have it or just certain ones?

3. Check and see what the pattern of the yellowing is. Is it random and patchy, or are the veins staying green with yellowing in between (chlorosis)?

4. If the veins are green with yellow in between, is there browning on the edges of the leaves, or wilting?

If the yellowing is in between the veins with the veins staying green (chlorosis), that can be caused by several things. Over-fertilization is one of them. (Do you have a reason to think you over-fertilized?) :)

Iron deficiency can also cause it.

Another possible cause is really high soil pH (alkaline soil). You don't say where you are - some areas have naturally alkaline soil because of lots of lime. A soil test is always a good idea, you can get it done at your country extension office. High alkalinity can keep plants from getting iron, so it's iron deficiency again in real terms.

If it's low iron or alkaline soil, you can try some iron fertilizer. I have a patch of soil by limestone walls where lots of shrubs were chlorotic; last year I did a good application of iron fertilizer and they are growing great guns now with really good deep green growth.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here