Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumbers on squash root stock?

Posted by plantslayer 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 7, 09 at 2:58

An article in a recent community garden newsletter here in Seattle described how one gardener grew cucumbers on kabocha rootstock; in other words, he grew kabocha (a kind of small winter squash popular in Japan) starts and cucumber starts, then grafted the cucumber starts onto the kabocha starts. According to the article, this gave the cucumbers much stronger roots and led to major production gains. I can't find out much about this online though, and I generally only see it mentioned as a way of making the cukes more resistant to disease/pests. Has anyone done this before?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumbers on squash root stock?

I have never done it before but I am contemplating doing some experiments with grafting this year. I am more familiar with growing watermelon on a squash rootstock which is said to make better quality watermelons (with the right cultivars grafted):

Watermelon/Squash Graft

It all sounds very interesting, if you have space and time I would say go for it and report your results here.

... I wonder what would happen if a cucumber was grafted onto an Atlantic Giant rootstock :)

o

So I wonder if this opens them up to the squash vine borer? I have enough problems with the cucumber beetles.

o

Hey I was doing some research on grafting for this year and I remembered this thread. I found an article that explains how and why grafting is important. Apparently it has been going on since the 1920's in Japan.

Enjoy!

Grafting vine crops

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here