Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ania_ca

Anyone start their squash yet?

ania_ca
13 years ago

I started mine indoors and am planting them out this weekend. It has been in the 80's to 90's this week and it was warm at night.

Anyone else starting already?

Ania

Comments (8)

• tcstoehr
    13 years ago

I sure haven't. It's low 50's during the day and low 30's at night. I will start them in the cold frame around April 15 hoping to get them in the garden around May 15th. Maybe, just maybe, things will have warmed up enough by then.

• planetes
    13 years ago

Up here in the PNW we have barely cracked spring at this point. As tcstoehr mentioned, our highs are barely hitting the 50s so it'll be a few more weeks before we can seriously start them. I'm planning to start my sugar pumpkins indoors around the end of the month before I take them outside sometime in later May.

It doesn't help that this year has been running colder and cloudier than normal (Yes, Seattle gets sunny days)

• girlbug2
    13 years ago

Oh yes, I planted my 6 winter squash seeds in a large terra cotta pot outside--unprotected--and three of them germinated about one week ago. It had been in the 50s at night with daytime highs ranging from high 60s to about 80 degrees.

You live in zone 9--any reason in particular you are starting squash seeds indoors instead of direct sowing outside?

• ania_ca
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was still a bit cold when I started them inside, in the 40's at night. I've actually always started them inside instead of direct sowing. In my mind, it's easier to keep the moisture consistant in a small cup.

We have had no spring this year. Within a week it went from stormy and cold to temps in the 80's and 90's. Good for squash, but all my greens and brocolli...not so much.

What are you all planning on growing?

I have some patty pans, green and yellow zuchini, yellow squash, grey squash, round zucchini and cocozelle (sp?).

• Zeak Rice
    13 years ago

---tcstoehr Z8 Canby OR.--- I'm with you. Here in Seattle the soil Temp is 45deg 5" down in a raised bed. I'm gonna e-mail KOMO TV weather man and see what a weak LaNina has in store for us (based on passed experience.) Last year I started all my squash indoors and VERY CAREFULLY (and succesfully) transplanted them without disturbing roots. The only ones that (seemingly) didn't like it were the 'butternut'. Good crops on Kabocha, Marina di Chioggia, & Sweet meat, etc. Butternut (the only Moschata) never did much.

• MerryStem
    13 years ago

I planted Fordhook, Sweet Zuke, and Burpee Hybrid zucchini seeds outdoors in six very large terracotta pots on March 31. They came up on April 4 and are now growing under 75% shade black plastic netting, where they will need to stay until they are about three weeks old. Until then they won't tolerate and want more of the intense hot season sun and heat. It's in the 90s this week and supposed to reach 99 degrees next Thursday.

MerryStem
    Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand

• neohippie
    13 years ago

I've started my yellow summer squash, and the seedlings already have two true leaves each. I need to start my other squash varieties ASAP.

And I've ALREADY seen Squash Vine Borer months snooping around. Hrmph! >:-(

• friedabyler
    13 years ago

Hi there!
    I'm soaking some winter pink banana squash seeds to hopefully start later today in pots. Grew them last year [bush type, available from The Cook's Garden] and loved them!
    Doing the same with some Fordhook zuchini seeds.
    This time of year, I start an assortment and see which ones survive and bear the longest before succumbing to all manner of bugs and maladies here in the Mid Atlantic region.
    Last year, neem oil and hot pepper/soap spray helped us actually get a nice harvest in spite of a swarm of squash bugs.....we burned our patch afterwards. I'm wondering how it will be this year, but am determined to start early....

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES