|I got a 97¢ package of "birdhouse gourd" seed.
(I) If planted where they can either grow along the ground like a pumpkin or climb a fence like a morning glory which should I expect them to do naturally?
(II) Can I train them to grow up the fence if that is not their natural inclination?
|Yes - just plant them, give them a trellis or fence to grow on and watch them go! They not only make great birdhouses but you can also use them for bowls, lidded containers etc - you can also carve them, paint them, woodburn them and use just about any art form on them that you can think of! Have fun! Also - remember to do a search on line for "gourd art" and see what pops up. (don't use the quotes when doing that!) |
Rita in Michigan
Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of Gourd Art from Michigan
|My gourds grew everywhere........along the ground, up a fence, and up the trees! I love their white blossoms that open up in the evening. Have fun!|
|I love the white flowers too!!|
Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum
- You must be a registered member and logged in to post messages on our forums.
- Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review the contents and make changes.
- After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
- It is illegal to post copyrighted material without the owner's consent.
- HTML codes are allowed in the message field only.
- No advertising is allowed in any of the forums.
- If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
- If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.