Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hengal_gw

Who has used Rit dye on gourds?

hengal
17 years ago

I'm sure I'm probably in the minority here, but I have never used it. I wouldn't even have thought about it, but last weekend when leaving the gourd show in Kokomo, IN, there was a lady outside with a big kettle dying gourds. They were just beautiful - so natural looking.

She told me the color combination she used to get the color she was doing and said to check out their website to get more color combos. I did and I'm going to pick some dye up tonight and try it!

Has anyone else done this?

Comments (8)

• gourd_friends
    17 years ago

I watched that demonstration, too. I was certainly impressed. I had tried red dye on apple gourds, but apparently didn't keep the dye hot enough. My next investment will be a turkey fryer, or something like that to keep the dye hot.

Jan

• GardenKiwi
    17 years ago

hey - I took a class from Susie Billingsley in Ohio on making a gourd basket. She had dyed all the big gourds that she brought along for us to use and she had used Rit dye. I don't know if I have the info downstairs with the class instructions but I think I wrote it down!!! The gal next to me had a green gourd/inside - it was neat! I will post more after I check it out after Easter - I just hope I remember!!!

Rita in Michigan

• luckylash7
    16 years ago

This is so neat, I am new to gourds. Does anyone have any helpful websites on how to get started in using Dye on gourds? Thanks :) Amanda

• hengal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Amanda. I wish I had an answer for you. I haven't tried it yet myself. I will be doing it once summer dies down (when the farmers market is over) and the weather gets a bit cooler (is that EVER going to happen?)
    I figured I'd just do it by trial and error. I got the chart for the dyes and bought the colors (powdered) that I need. I'm looking forward to it. Let me know if you find specific instructions. Surely someone on here has done this. :)

• gourd_friends
    16 years ago

Hi Hengal,
    I just saw Susie Billingsly today at the Sandlady's Gourd Fest. I think she plans to be there Sunday, as well.
    I'm sure she would gladly share the information with you.

Jan

• hengal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Jan -

Thanks for the message. I was planning on going to Sandlady's this year but we had to go up to Michigan this past weekend. How far of a drive is it for you? Last time I went it was about 3 1/2 hours. Looks like the weather was perfect this weekend for it. :)

• gourd_friends
    16 years ago

The drive from here is just under 90 minutes.
    It rained most of the way there, and we didn't actually set up to begin the festival until 10 a.m., because of the rain.
    By that time, there were folks who had driven from Lafayette, Crawfordsville, Kentucky, and Indianapolis.
    By noon, the weather was fairly nice, and stayed nice the rest of the afternoon.
    I wasn't able to be there on Sunday, but by all accounts, the weather was nearly perfect. I haven't heard what the crowds were like, but should know more in a few days.

Next year will be the Sandlady's 10th year for the festival, so she is hoping to make it bigger and better.

Jan

• clbrownwood_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I had not known of using Rit dye....I just purchased a combo pack of leather dye for about $30.00..hmmmm...well you live & learn they say.Crystal.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County