Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
last years gourds to clean

Posted by krp58 Maine z4/5 (sastables@pivot.net) on
Tue, Apr 25, 06 at 13:04

how much cleaning are we suppose to do? I brought one in and ran it under warm water and used a metal scrubby. I got off the outside skin that was light in color. It came off real easy. Am i suppose to scrub more? they are a beige in color or a golden beige. I never took off any green skin.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: last years gourds to clean

It sounds like you've got a cleaned gourd. Some folks will dip the cleaned gourd in a 10% bleach/water solution to slow further mold growth. I recommend it, but there will always be other opinions.
I've also found that a steel scrubber will sometimes leave a grayish finish on the gourd, but the copper scrubbers do not.
On this forum, deep in the vaults of past posts, you will find two other "Growing Gourds, Start to Finish". They may be listed as Numbers 1 and 2, I really don't remember.
Gourd Guy has done a great job with this tutorial and if you care to dig through the posts, you'll find good, practical answers to most of your questions.
You'll find the "growing gourds start to finish" on the current page.....I don't know how deep the other two are.

However, you'll usually find some good answers from any of the gourd folk who visit the forum and we're glad to have you here.

Jan

o
RE: last years gourds to clean

yes thank you, i am going to check that out. I have the copper scrubber and I may use the bleach because there are a few areas on them that still have the discoloration. I am not sure what i am going to do with them but it is fun to grow them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here