Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need Musquee de Provence info

Posted by coatfetish z6 VA. (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 14:11

Hi there!

I am trying my hand at growing pumpkins for the first time. The one I chose is Musquee de Provence, hoping for good pie flavor. Now the downside; I live on a small mobile home lot - lol. However I only have 6 seeds - we'll see how many germinate/grow. How much space should I plan on to accommodate each plant? Also, will it tolerate any late afternoon shade in my hot (to me) z6b location? (shade after 3pm). That would free up a lot of growing space for me it it would.

If anyone can give me growing tips for pumpkin in general, I'd appreciate it. I can read all day & night online, but I love to hear first-hand advice.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need Musquee de Provence info

You chose an excellent variety! I've grown them for the past three years and they are my absolute favorite. I show them off like they're my babies.

I live in southern Ohio, and plant mine in full sun. They do wilt a little bit during the day, but they spring back up at night. One vine usually will sprawl out at least 10-15 feet, if not longer, and I got about two pumpkins per seed.

If you have access at all to compost or fresh manure, they absolutely love it. We have miniature donkeys, and I'll either mix some of their manure in (less than compost because it has so much nitrogen) or I'll use our compost, and I just add about a handful right where I plant the seed. I hope that helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here