Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
concerned about cross-pollination help!

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 14:55

I plan on growing squash in raised beds.

The raised beds will pretty much be put in a plot in a straight line (or stacked, like a pyramid, I'm not sure yet).

My concern is with the raised beds being that close together, will cross-pollination occur?

Two varieties of different squash (i.e. a spaghetti squash and a butternut squash in the same bed) is NOT how I plan to plant them in the beds.

Each variety will be grown in a separate bed (butternut in one bed, acorn in another bed, etc.)

However since the beds are going to be so close together then is there still the possibility of cross-pollination occurring. All the squash in the raised beds will be in the same row, but each variety will be in a separate bed.

I also plan to grow melons in raised beds; I plan to use the same method for planting melons as described for winter squash (no the melons won't be planted with the winter squash in the same bed).

Here are the varieties....

butternut, buttercup, spaghetti squash, pumpkin (pie pumpkin) kabocha (Asian pumpkin), delicata, hubbard

melons....watermelon, galia, cantaloupe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: concerned about cross-pollination help!

Are you saving seed? If not don't worry about cross pollination. Cross pollination only effects the seed and only for the next generation.

If you want to save seed for next year's crop you will have to bag (tape) the blossoms and hand pollinate.

Zeuspaul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here