Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salem_girl

Pumpkins in a veggie patch?

salem_girl
19 years ago

This may give you a chuckle, but I'm contemplating planting a pumping seed or two in my 25x4" raised garden bed. This is my only space for growing so I'm planting the bed very intensly by grouping, timing and trellising. I'll have tomatoes, peppers, herbs, edamame, zucc, beans, peapods, spinach, leeks, onions, eggplant and baby cukes! Whew! Yes, I know, I'm going a bit nuts. I figured by the time my veggies are about done that I'd see pumpkins popping up. Am I naive? When would I plant them? When do the vines come? How long are they? Would they choke off my other veggies? When do I see the first sign of pumpkins? I really don't want to kill off my garden, but if I have the opportunity to squeeze in one more on my harvest list, I'd love to! Please help, Oh Mighty Pumpkin Experts!!

Thanks,

Salem_girl

Comments (11)

• gourd_friends
    19 years ago

Sounds like you have enough planned for the raised bed without the pumpkins. They need their own space and plenty of it.

Jan

• wyndyacre
    19 years ago

Lots of people plant pumpkins amongst their sweet corn, because the corn is tall and the pumpkins low. But if you plant pumpkins amongst your tomatos, peppers etc., all those low crops will get absolutely smothered by the pumpkin vines and leaves. Sorry, it's just too big of a vine to try to squeeze in.
    I planted some gourd vines in my vegetable bed last year, leaving them a large space of their own and even with hacking them back every so often, they still attempted to take over everything else. I had to practically take out a machete to find a tomato or pepper and those plants suffered for it. I learned my lesson!

• sandbagger
    19 years ago

You don't really have enough room for a pumpkin plant in that small an area unless you can be brutal and constant in your pruning. Depending on the variety (some get very tall leafstalks and large leaves)your best bet is to grow a single main vine along the perimeter and cut off all (that means every) sidevine that starts...only keep the mainvine fruits. They are invasive. I had a 30 foot main vine only Giant squash plant that only set one fruit which finished at 186lbs. It can be done.

• pumpkiwi
    19 years ago

pumpkins like their own spots.but if u realy need to save space,u can try the three sisters:pumpkin,corn,and beans.beans:climbs on to the corns,pumpkins shades the soil to keep moisture in and the beans are just for food.
    good luck!Chris

• stealth_gardener
    19 years ago

Beans just for food? the beans fix nitrogen and make it readily available for the pumpkins and corn ;) Also they lure the bees in to the squash flowers :)

• luffamom
    18 years ago

I grew them in my garden on the backside of the garden. They do spread but I cut and cut and cut them back and still ended up with at least 20 pumpkins. Can you plant them so that they can fall off the side of your raised garden and spread out on the ground? Not sure of your area. Good luck if you try! My cats loved to lie under them in the shade.

• sueloring
    18 years ago

You don't have enough room to grow pumpkins that have long vining habits, they will cover everything in your garden.
    But consider growing a bush variety pumpkin that doesn't vine as much...I grow about 30 different varieties of pumpkin and a nice one that you should consider is called
    Orange Smoothie. The plant stays in nice tight clump and the pumpkins are about the size of a basketball and are bright orange. They are one of my personal favorites.
    I would only plant one or two hills with your limited size. If you planted the hills close to the edge of your garden space the plant will move over the edge and make room for itself.
    Another option is to grow smaller pumpkins and use a fence or trellis for the vines to climb.
    Good luck to you
    Sue

• salem_girl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Excellent. Thank you for your advice. As it turns out my veggie garden is full! I get carried away. I have a spot by a stand of trees that I used to display pumpkins last year. The stacks of hay are still there. I think I'll just grow in that area and set the pumpkins on the hay right on the vines!

Salem_girl

• jrohrer
    18 years ago

I could have used this advice 3 weeks ago. I put last Halloweens pumpkins in my worm bin, and a bunch of the seeds sprouted. On a dare I transpalnted 4 seedlings to a 4x8 raised bed. Looks like I will need to do some aggressive trimming.

Will post photos of the outcome. Should be interesting. Ha!

• Counselor40
    18 years ago

I have some edible pumkins growing up one side of a large trellis which is more of a small pagoda really. So far, so good. The vine is exquisite. I planted the seeds about 3 months ago. I planted them in a relatively small garden area, so we will have to see. Last year I got a bumper crop of huge cantaloupes in the very same spot.

• Hollywog
    18 years ago

I had a volunteer from last years old halloween pumpkins come up at the corner of my garden. Its a pretty good sized garden, and the vine has already taken over at least half of it. It has taken over my sweet corn rows (which isn't really a problem, but I do worry that it is blocking sunlight from the shorter stalks) and it is headed for the watermelons (5 vines have taken up way more space then I ever anticipated of the sugar baby variety as it is!). I also planted 4 spaghetti squash plants as an experiment, and it is taking some very aggressive pruning to keep them off of my tomatoes. They are trying to take over!! To top everything off, my dog took off with a packet of nasturtium seeds while I was planting flowers this spring and trailed them all over the yard---but mostly in the garden. I have the most beautiful nasturtiums growing in the midst of my peppers now. They are so lush and beautiful that I can't bear to pull them up!! but I am trying to make it all work, and hoping that by the time the pumpkin vine sets fruit, the watermelon, sweet corn, and green bean plants will be done. I just hate spending 5 bucks or more on a pumpkin for the kids at the grocery store!! Everything seems to be doing well so far, and not suffering from the vining plants.

Sponsored