Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Another cross pollination question

booberry85
15 years ago

I'm planning on growing Waltham Butternuts, Adazapari and Sweet Dumpling squashes this year. I wanted to save the seeds for the 2009 growing season and for trading. Will those squashes cross pollinate? If I hand pollinate, will the seeds remain pure?

Comments (7)

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

The Waltham (C. moschata) and the Sweet Dumpling ( C. pepo) do not as a general rule cross. I am not familiar with the Adazapari. At any rate if you bag the blossom ( females) and hand polinate you can alleviate all worries. Be aware the the Sweet Dumpling will readily cross pollinate with any C. pepo which includes most of the summer squash, Halloween type pumpkins and the small decorative gourds)

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was given the seeds for the adapazari squash and thought I'd try it. Here's all the info I was given on it.

Each Squash has about 600-800 seeds. As for maturity I'm not certain. We plant in late April/early May and harvest them before the first frost in November. We pick them and put them in a dry dark room until we need them. I'm the Pie Maker in the family and this Squash makes wonderful Pies. I will never eat a Pumpkin Pie as long as I have this Squash. This Squash has an extremely tough Skin/rind, even the Raccoons give up when trying to open it. We use a hand saw to open it by sawing between the ridges. A knife doesn't work safely. The flesh inside is firm and sweet. This is a large plant and will usually produce one large as a couple small Squash per plant. The the smaller squash are used for soups.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of adapazari squash

• Macmex
    15 years ago

Adapazari is a c. maxima. With only very rare exception a c. maxima will not cross with either a c. pepo or a c. moschata. You should be good. Just be sure you don't have any neighbors growing just about ANY other squash. If they are, you surely need to hand pollinate.

By the way. Don't be afraid of hand pollination. It's not hard. Drop me an e-mail and I can send you an illustrated guide I did on it.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• simplicitygardens
    15 years ago

George (macmex) I'd really like to have your illustrated guide as well. Planning a big ol' pumpkin patch with many varieiies and I'd originally thought not to bother with saving seed, but it just doesn't make sense not to. So how do I get in touch with you? I also have questions on spacing my pumpkins/squash. Any body out there have suggestions? Particularly the cinderella type pumpkins.Started a whole bunch from some seed I'd been hanging onto for a couple years. They all sprouted and will be ready to go into the ground soon. Many thanks!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm the only nut that gardens in my area, so I don't have to worry about my neighbors. I only have neighbors on two sides of me. My closest neighbor is 150 feet away from my garden, but doesn't garden. The next closest neighbors are about 500 feet away, but again don't garden. There is a 5 acre empty lot to the north of me (woods) and woods and farmers fields (corn) to the east of me.

Occassionally, I wind up having to use Rotenone or Sevin on squashes and cucumbers because of Cucumber beetles. I learned how to hand pollinate after having used them. I try and avoid using both pesticides but two years ago I had plague of the nasty buggers. Last year I didn't have any.

• fliptx
    15 years ago

Last week, a female flower on my butternut plant opened without any male butternut flowers to pollinate her. So on a whim I took a male zucchini flower and poked it around the butternut flower. I didn't expect it to work, but the fruit is about 4 inches long now. It's possible that some helpful bee found its way from another C. moschata somewhere in the neighborhood, but out of curiosity I'll save the seeds to see what, if anything, comes from them next year.

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

Well I believe that C. pepo and C. moschata can cross, but others do not. There was another thread about cross pollination where we discussed C. pepo and C. moschata crosses. It could have been another C. moschata, but I think the zucchini is the more likely culprit.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996