Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runswithscissors_gw

Dipper, Snake and Bushel Gourds

runswithscissors
10 years ago

I did a search but couldn't find specific help.

I germinate all my melon, gourd seeds using the paper towel method...with nearly 100% success rate....

....except with these three gourds. Every year I have a tough time with Bushel, and this is the first year I'm trying dippers and snakes.

Here's what I do, as advised by a nurseryman: I soak the seed overnight, then nick the sides. Then put it in the papertowel on a heat mat at 84 degrees F. It has been 3 weeks and the seeds still have not broken dormancy, although they are still very firm.

Does anyone have a suggestion - perhaps GA3 or peroxide or some secret family trick?

They are this year's lot, and I'm trying 6 of each to ensure at least one or two are viable.

Comment (1)

• kiwilad55
    10 years ago

Hello there - your seeds are fresh? You say this years lot?
    I soak my seeds over night - then plant out each seed into a peat pot individually- with potting mix soil. I have never "nicked" gourd seeds - the only seeds I have ever nicked are cycad seeds.
    Keep the soil moist - but never WET - and leave in a warm sunny spot to germinate - I would think after three weeks of waiting - the seeds may not germinate at all. My germinating seeds are pretty much up and running within 10 - 14 days at the most. I doubt if its the varieties you are growing - sounds more like seeds that are not mature and fresh - although I have retrieved seeds from gourds made into musical instruments that are years old - they do take much longer and never 100% success rate - but enough to get plants to full growth and producing fine gourds. If you can bear the sacrifice of one of your slow germinating seeds - squeeze it hard between your fingers - if it oozes out sloshy "matter" you know the seed has rotted and no longer any good - or if the seed collapses then it too is not any good and is immature.
    Cheers.