Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neoshofarm

anyone ever grown triamble, or shamrock

neoshofarm
17 years ago

I ordered some pumpkin seeds that I'm very excited about, they are called triamble or shamrock. The description says they get about 10 lbs and they are a pale kinda seafoam greenish blue color, very pretty. They have 3 lobes that make them look a little like a shamrock. Has anyone ever grown these? I'm wondering what to expect for the yield and difficulty of growing them. I'm in Kansas and it's time to plant pumpkins, gourds, and most everything else here. Hope everyone has an exciting growing season.

Lisa O

Comments (14)

• gourd_friends
    17 years ago

That's a new one to me. How is the flesh? Are they edible, or ornamental?
    Do you grow gourds, also? That is mainly what we grow. We really don't have room for other large vine plants.

Jan

• neoshofarm
    Original Author
    17 years ago

From the description in the seed catalog, it says they have a sweet orange fine grained flesh that is excellent for eating and the pumpkin is great for decorating, I think as far as just putting them out, they look to odd shaped for carving. I do have some gourd seeds that I'm going to plant this year. I have one called yellow banded koshare, and I have baby bottle gourds, I'm trying to get some luffa gourd seed, I also have some goblin egg and decorating mix of mini gourds. I have about 10 acres of field, so I have lots of room, the only thing is trying to take care of all of it by myself. My husband helps we he can but a lot of the time he's at work. What type of gourds do you grow? This is my first year for gourds. I've grown a few pumpkins before but never on this large scale.
    Lisa O

• gourd_friends
    17 years ago

Hi Lisa,
    We grow all hard-shell gourds.......bottle, kettle, short-handled dipper and a few others. They are mostly for our own use, and we donate lots for 4-H, and other children's groups. We have an acre and a half, and use only about 1/4 of that for gourds.
    I am lucky that my husband and I work together on the growing, harvesting, and cleaning. He always has to be busy with something on his days off.

Good luck on your pumpkins and gourds!
    Jan

• Bob (Seattle, Zone 8a)
    13 years ago

I'm trying it for the first time this year and I'm excited about it too! It's my only C. maxima this year so the seed should be pure no matter what I do. I hear it doesn't produce much seed.

If you've grown any of the other large C. maxima squash like Hubbard, Cinderella, Banana squash etc. and especially any of the Australian gray pumpkins, then triamble shouldn't be much different. The only issues I can see are growing season - you won't want to lose time! The big C. maximas like to get a couple meters of growth on them before the set (though you'll get male flowers earlier and maybe an aborted female or two, don't worry). You can help them by mounding some dirt over every few nodes to make sure they root into the ground as well. I've notied that once the really hot summer weather sets in in late June or July they stop setting fruit, so you'll want to get your fruit set as early as you can. (Here in Istanbul we get a gradual cooling and increased rain in the fall, sometimes squash will revive and set another fruit or so but they never mature, so I cut them like zucchini.)

The other thing to watch for is squash bugs - they LOVE C. maximas. I gave seed of a popular big gray C. maxima they grow here to a friend in Oklahoma and she couldn't pick the bugs fast enough. So you'll want to be vigilant!

• greenelephant
    12 years ago

This is a late response to your post, but I think Triamble is the best tasting winter squash I've ever eaten.

• hasbean
    12 years ago

I have grown Triamble Pumpkins for years though not recently. In my early farming years in Tasmania and also later on in my second stint of farming there, we grew Triambles regularly. Also in West Australia. The Triamble is an heirloom Australian variety famed not merely for its unusual tri-lobed shape, but also for its rich flavour when baked, and for its wonderful floury consistency. We also grew them for a while in Ireland. Triambles are also highly regarded for their keeping qualities, and I am in the process of searching for some seeds to grow on my Island in Australia, for some reason they seem to have fallen out of fashion in recent years, though those of us who know them would always grow them. Alas they wont grow where I live in Europe now as our soil is of very high pH and they like a slightly more acid environment, and every garden pest known to man lives and thrives here.

They are a crop well worth trying no matter where you are.

Garden blessings to you.

Hasbean.

• acorneti
    9 years ago

Hello sazji and hasbean!

Did you ever have a four-lober triamble?
    I had 4 lobes in one blossom and today I opened that fruit pollinated by a C. maxima boer ford `Nadymô: 4 placental areas!
    Please see the four beads at this picture.
    I named this hybrid quadramble now.
    It will be very interesting to select F1.

Best regards,
    Ludwig

• acorneti
    9 years ago

4cm diameter has this crown with white mirror (color from the boer ford pumpkin) and the truncated pistillate flower rudiments with four stigmas.

• acorneti
    9 years ago

...inner blossom side...

• acorneti
    9 years ago

Partition like an H with wide shanks.
    Is this a very unique item, or does nature produce the quadramble sometimes?
    Do growers normally trash them, because they see this phenomenon as a fault?
    I like the quadramble very much.

• acorneti
    9 years ago

This is seed from the blossom side only.
    How much will it be in the deeper stem side?

• acorneti
    9 years ago

but soooo much flesh there!
    Averaged diameter is about 25 cm.

• acorneti
    9 years ago

overall hight 15 cm
    stem-blossom-axis 7.5 cm
    ratio diameter/sb-axis = 3.33

• Ludwig Ammer
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

In 2016 I grew my newly bred variety C. maxima 'Trisinus' - out of Quadramble-line.