Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Virus resistant non-GMO squash?

Posted by jay58 AZ (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 16:44

Hi,

I've never asked a question here but have read and learned from these forums, but now my squash are being attacked and I need advice please.

There's something affecting all my squash, winter and summer. It's this yellow spotting and leaf-curl and it's killing all of them. All are heirloom varieties - I don't think they are resistant.

Questions:

Can any one tell me about or link me to a seed seller that has non-gmo (I assume I need hybrids) virus resistant squash varieties/seeds? Or some names of a squash type that I can search for and buy?

What's the odds my tomatoes will be attacked by this thing too?

Thanks so much,

Lee G.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Virus resistant non-GMO squash?

There is no such thing as any GMO plant that the general public can buy.

None.

Let me say that again, there are no GMO food plants you can buy. Anyone that makes a point of saying their line is GMO free is basically scamming you to try and make some extra money by scaring you with straw men.

o

Concur. The major virus for squash is Mosaic virus. While there are squash that will tolerate it, none are resistant. It does not fit your description. I expect that you have an insect problem, probably cucumber beetles which vector bacterial wilt. Get your Ag extension agent to identify the problem and the look for appropriate varieties. You can probably find an OP that meets your needs. Hybrids are better at production and resistance to some dreaded diseases like mildew. GMO's are the modern boogey man, but none are available to home gardeners.

o

"GMO's are the modern boogey man"

And are about as dangerous, but that's a different thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here