Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what sub-species is this gourd?

Posted by hunter_tx 7bTx (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 07 at 17:10

I've been trying to track down the name of this gourd, and all I can come up with is Lagenaria siceraria, but there are several gourds that come up when doing a search on that name, and I can't find the specific sub-type. The diameter is 8" and it is about 9 1/2 inches tall. Thanks for any direction or help. Also would like to know where I can buy seeds.
Mrs H

Here is a link that might be useful: gourd

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what sub-species is this gourd?

It looks like my favorite kind of gourd.......a kettle/bottle mix. Sometimes the best gourds are a mixed breed. If you are counting on the same shape and size every time, you're going to be disappointed.
I would take a "surprise gourd" anytime over a perfect textbook model.

Maybe someone else will come up with a better answer for you. Keep checking for other responses.

Good Luck,
Jan

o

Thanks, Jan, so can I get seeds for it?

o

I'm posting a link for you. A very reputable gourd seed supplier, plus, a lot of gourd crafting supplies.

Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Turtle Feathers

o

Oh goody, thank you so much. I've been trying for a couple of months to find out what this gourd is and where to buy seeds. I have the seeds from one of the two I have, and planted them Friday, but I suspect I will probably get some kind of crossed mix, lol. It may turn out to be great, though :)
Mrs H

o

I hope you'll post here from time to time, and especially when your gourds have taken shape. I'll be anxious to see how they turn out. We'll be planting our gourds in the next week or so.

Jan

o

I certainly will, and thanks for the welcoming post.
Mrs H

o

you're very welcome

Jan

o

You might be interested in the following pics of various kinds of gourds. This is what I use for identification of gourds.

http://thegourdreserve.com/tgr_gourd_id_chart.html

Also - if you want to have "true" seeds, you have to hand pollinate your gourd blossoms because they will cross within their own species and also with squash, melons, cucumbers, etc. I think it will tell you about that at the above site.

If you can tell me how to insert pictures here - I will post some for you if you want me to.

Hope I have helped some. Happy gourding to all.

o

lhendri, thanks for the link. I'll check it out and learn some more about gourds. I've grown a couple of different varieties in the past couple of years, but I want to grow this particular one to make some martin houses. Are squash bugs and cuke beetles a problem for gourds as they are for cukes and squash?
Mrs H

o

Sorry hunter_tx - did not get mail from the Garden web site. Squash bugs and beetles and everything else that goes to the cucs, squash and everything else will go to your gourds too. they are all the same family!! Treat the bugs the same way as you would for the veggies. Here is one link for you. Just do a search for "entomology". You should get quite a few places there. Texas A & M has a good entomology Dept - any of the "Aggie" schools are good sources of information for you.

http://www.gardeners.com/Squash-Bug-Control/default/5322.page

Let me know how your gourds are doing. Have fun

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here