Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

is it possible to grow pumpkins in containers?

I'm new to gardening. I don't plant to grow pumpkins now, as it's too late for me to do so because of where I live. So any information acquired from this post is for FUTURE reference.

As the title asks, is it possible to grow pumpkins in containers? The variety of pumpkin I plan to grow would be a small variety, 4-8 pounds; if possible it would be a variety of pumpkin that is a bush type or compact type.

I have some very basic questions and here are the questions:

*Can you grow small pumpkins in a container? If so what size container? (specify this information in gallons please)

How many plants would you plant per container?

*Do you have to train the vines of a pumpkin on trellis? Again this applies to small, 4-to-8 pound varieties of pumpkins. If you do have to use a trellis, where would you put it in relation to the container (behind it, to the side of it, etc.) When I ask if you have to train a pumpkin to climb a trellis, this is for either bush types, compact types, and/or a small traditional vining variety. If you do you have to train the vines to climb a trellis, how would you go about doing so? I have no experience with growing any type of plant that has a vine, and/or climbs; I also have never grown any type of veggie in the squash family.

*If you have to train a pumpkin to climb a trellis, then would you stake the vines of the pumpkin like you would a tomato?

Comments (2)