Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazey

This year I want too many squash!

lazey
11 years ago

I want to have so much squash this year that even people I only have a passing acquaintance with are looking up recipes for zucchini!

Last year I only got maybe 3 summer squash, nothing else, no winter squash, no pumpkins, not even a zucchini. It was not for lack of trying. I planted early and squash vine borers killed most of my squash and pumpkin vines. I planted again and then the squash bugs came in droves and cleaned me out. They sucked every squash and pumpkin dry, I did my best to kill them but they managed to kill my vines. Very frustrating and disappointing. I had some trouble with cucumber beetles too but it was mostly the squash bugs that killed everything.

I am trying to go the organic route, though last season after seeing my shriveled vines I was tempted to drop a nuclear warhead on those squash bugs. I would love to get some guinea fowl but not sure if I can afford to build a coop and keep them overwinter.

So far I have ordered some 6' by 50' floating row covers and hope it will be enough because I plan on having a lot of squash and pumpkins this year. I have 3 kinds of pumpkin (including Dill's Atlantic Giant, I may be a little too enthusiastic considering that squash bugs killed all my sugar pumpkin last year) about 10 varieties of summer/zucchini, and 9 kinds of winter squash (Couple heirlooms like banana and hubbard). I'll probably only have 1 or 2 hills of each but I'll still have squash up to my ears if I can keep the squash bugs and vine borers away.

I plan on ordering some BT in the next week or so so I will have it when needed, that should take care of the squash vine borers but the squash-sucking bugs seem harder to kill.

So any advice? Are hills better than rows? I am into companion planting, I picked up some icicle radish seeds but I've heard mixed reviews on them keeping pests away.

Comments (3)

• lazey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am trying to rotate my crops, but I'm afraid I do not have much space for my garden so my squash will not be too far from where they were last year. :-/ Darn, I do not want to trap those borers in with my squash. Is it true they stop laying eggs after a certain date? I like to start planting as soon as possible but if I can delay by keeping my seedlings inside longer...

I am burning all the plants/compost/waste from last year. Late last summer I had one zucchini hill left and I resorted to chemical pesticide to kill the remaining squash bugs. Not proud of the chemicals I used but hopefully it will put a dent in the population for this year.

We had a very mild winter. I expect the pests to have easily survived.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County