Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bowdoin51487

New to growing squash

bowdoin514911
12 years ago

Hello all,

I am not a new gardener, but am trying yellow summer squash for the first time. I am starting them from seeds. Any pointers anyone cares to share would be greatly appreciated. I live in the upstate area of South Carolina, close to Georgia.

I thank you all, in advance. Happy growing!

Emma

Comments (6)

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

Summer squash is very easy to grow in this area. Only two problems 1. squash vine borers and 2. Pickle worms. You can usually get a crop by starting early, pickle worms come in July. I direct seed in normal ground, but there are folks who grow them in containers. Takes a large container tho, 5 gallons or so. They are not demanding, will grow where any other standard cultivated plant will grow. I am on the Georgia side of the Savanna.
    {{gwi:78965}} {{gwi:82741}} {{gwi:133888}} {{gwi:133889}} {{gwi:133890}} {{gwi:133892}} {{gwi:103578}} {{gwi:70534}}

• lazey
    12 years ago

Squash are my favorite plants to grow, not too much work and taste great. If you don't have any trouble with pests you'll have more than you can eat lol. Last year I was cleaned out by squash bugs, I don't know if they're as big a problem where you are - if you see a squash bug kill it right away.

• bowdoin514911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the great advice here. My few yellow squash I have started in containers is now peeking through the soil. I am thrilled to see it coming up. It's like having a new friend! Will keep y'all posted! Thanks!
    Emma in SC

• bartonmt
    11 years ago

I'm new to trying gardening in general, so I'm just trying a bunch of different things. I started some squash and zucchini and have found it to be pretty easy to start in a container and let it grow until it starts getting the real leaves on it. After that I just transplant it like a tomato plant. Dig a trough and lay the stem horizontally and bury up to the leaves. Seems to be working very well. I started seeds about 2-3 per cup. When transplanting I would pinch off the smallest stems and tried planting them the same way just to see what happened. It actually worked very well. Now I have 8 squash/zucc plants that are growing like crazy. Gonna be giving away a lot it looks like.

• bowdoin514911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all, for your very much appreciated advice. I have both yellow and zuchinni started in cups so far. It's a late start for the upstate region of SC, but that's not going to deter me. I have yet to transplant my new squash, but they are getting their second leaves and will soon be moved to a permanent spot. And they look like they are going to be vigorous growers. Thank you all!!

• brookw_gw
    11 years ago

Don't forget to eat those blossoms. You can pick most of the male blossoms for themselves and not hurt the fruit crop at all. Female flowers have an ovary (immature fruit) at the base of its flower. Males have just the stem.

Brook