Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tay_ste_5000

probbly over fertilized pumpkins and squash

tay_ste_5000
13 years ago

so i am growing pumpkins and squash, along with watermelons, though they have yet to show this problem, and i think i may have over fertilized them. First i will describe how much i fertilized them. I initially watered the potting soil with some pretty strong fish emulsion(2 tbsp/gal) and they exploded on me, i had to plant them within a week. Since fish emulsion is high in nitrogen and low in everything else, i fertilized them when i planted them, with a fertilizer that had more of everything else, but low nitrogen (garden-tone), i didnt think i put too much, but i have known to be wrong. What i did was i dug a hole about 8-10" deep, sprinkled a fairly generous amount of fertilizer, a small handful, probably less than a half of a cup, then i took some dirt and mixed it up with the fertilizer, then i put more dirt on top of that, so i figured i was safe, using a relatively low strength fertilizer, diluted in dirt, and not right under the roots from the transplants, and i planted three plants in each hole, so it was going between three plants. That was about 2 weeks ago, and since then they've continued exploding (the pumpkins more so than the water melons). And i might add that they are all on a row/hill covered in black plastic and i started them out under the milk cartons, however, iv already had to take those off. The problem im having is that the outer most leaves are turning yellowish inbetween the veins, and these yellow regions are turning brown on the edges. It could be something else but im fairly certain of the mistake i have made, sooooooooooo, what can i do to help these plants out

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner