Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gurneys Mammoth King Pumpkin Wanted

Posted by starflakes (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 08 at 22:53

I have been searching for a squash type pumpkin which the Gurney's Seed Company of Yankton SD carried around 35 years ago named Mammoth King Pumpkin.

I want to be specific as too many people will jump on this and think Mammoth King which is sometimes found is the variety when it is not.
This is not Big Max which Gurneys also offered, but a distinct mottled strawberry shaped squash.

If any one has some seeds I would like to hear from you please and verify a few of the attributes of this variety to be certain it is the variety.
Respectfully, I don't want Seed Savers Yearbook as I don't have it.

Thank you. You can tag me at my user name at excite.com if you have the seeds.

PS: Yes I tried the company which purchased Gurneys but they knew nothing of what George was selling in the 1970's.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gurneys Mammoth King Pumpkin Wanted

So are trying to find seed sources ....like companies that carry these seeds?
Or just individuals that you can get seeds from?

I know exactly what you are talking about as far as what Mammoth King pumpkins are. Sometimes they are called King of Mammoth and they are the old seed variety that has lighter, salmon-colored skin and can grow in excess of 100 to 200 lbs.
I have grown them before in my garden and got the seeds from Baker Heirloom Seed Company.

Here is another online seed source:
"http://www.seedman.com/giant.htm"

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

o
RE: Gurneys Mammoth King Pumpkin Wanted

I found a company that sells the "King of Mammoths" pumpkin described as having pinkish-orange mottling on yellow fruit growing to 250lbs. Does this sound right? go to http://www.landrethseeds.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4822

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here