Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick_unbc

Desperate for pumpkin advice

nick_unbc
12 years ago

I am growing 3 varieties of pumpkins currently. They are still indoors, started from seed and getting ready to go out (fingers crossed). They had been thriving. Only watered when top soil dried out and a few inches down was not quite moist, well draining soil with manure, lots of light, steady temperature and some tomato food fertilizer every few weeks (7-11-17). Gave them standard watering and fertilizer one night. By noon the next day I noticed the side of one leaf had literally gone limp at a 90 degree angle. The soil definitely wasn't saturated. The section turned light green, felt moist not dry and by the next day had shriveled up and dried up brown. Other leaves on the plant had their outside edge go from flat to a kind of wavy pattern and the tips feel dried out. This kind of withering, wavy dried out issue started happening to random leaves on other plants, some tips turned yellow, but not all. From research I don't see any signs of diseases or bugs. Letting the soil dry a good amount has had no effect on slowing or stopping the decline. I am terrified to do anything because the symptoms could be a result of polar opposites (too much/little water, not enough nutrients/too much fertilizer). I am in desperate need of advice as I am new to gardening and can't stand to see all that work go down the drain.

Comments (10)

• planetes
    12 years ago

Well, a couple things.. first patience and acceptance are traits you will learn as a gardener. You WILL lose plants in the course of learning. It's a matter of how many and when.

Now, to the actual problem. Can you post pics of the plants? That would help. Pumpkin plants do drink a LOT of water so it may actually be an under-watering problem.

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

Pumpkins do best direct seeded. You should still have plenty of time.

• nick_unbc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a few samples. I know not to expect to bat 100, but two years in a row of failure, then to finally have them thrive only for this to happen... Grr.
    I just thought it was odd that it happened within 16 hrs of watering and it wasn't overkill.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin pics

• planetes
    12 years ago

Well to be honest they still look quite healthy. They just look wilted. Given the size of the pot and the size of the plant, they could definitely be running out of water. I container grow pumpkins all year and over-watering is the one thing I never had a problem with. Pumpkins have large root systems.

Are you planning to move them outside? I would definitely get them into bigger pots or outside soon depending on the temperatures.

• nick_unbc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Those pics were taken just a few hours after I noticed the issue. That wilted section turned dry brown and basically fell off at the touch. My main concern was that the same thing started happening to other random leaves on other plants and I wanted to nip it in the bud. I gave them some more water after 2 days without advice and the dirt drying considerably. At this point there has been no steep decline or healing, just staying about the same and seeming stunted. I posted the message because I have no idea if I've over/under watered them or over/under fed, too much/little light etc... I've been holding off on bringing them outside as although we haven't had frost in a while, we've had unseasonably cool, cloudy, wet weather and I don't think they will thrive in that environment. Does anyone have a minimum nighttime temperature at which they won't suffer.?

• donkenzie
    12 years ago

To me, (although I am certainly not an expert), this kind of appearance is typical of over-fertilizing. Using one every few weeks isn't too often but make sure you're not dousing the plant with it, a little goes a long way since you ALREADY have manure in there. That's fertilizer enough. They'll survive, just keep watering them with plain water for awhile to let them recover.

My pumpkin plants have been at temps of maybe 58 at the lowest at night and they're fine. Good luck!

• planetes
    12 years ago

Nick, out of curiosity which zone/area are you located in? We've been having very unseasonably cool weather in the northwest so I can understand the reluctance to put them outside. Our highs are barely starting to reach the lower 60s and my typical lows are still mid to upper 40s. I'm guessing at least 2-3 more weeks (probably the end of the month) before mine go outside.

• nick_unbc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Vancouver, bc, Canada. So I guess we are in the same boat.

• nick_unbc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

AHA! A partial epiphany and a bigger conundrum. Most of the plants are in 10" pots, but the worst one was in a 8" pot it was fading fast. I went to transplant it in a bigger pot yesterday to find the bottom was VERY dense with roots. Now that was a standard conneticut field, but the remaining ones are Atlantic giants!!! My problem is that due to unseasonably cool wet weather (7c-17c) they aren't ready to go out. For the bin laden justice squad among you, roughly 45f-65f :). I know that best solution is to transplant to bigger pots, but we barely have room as it is and I don't know if they can handle being transplanted twice in a few weeks. Any ideas?

• howden777
    12 years ago

Get some 2x2 lumber, heavy clear plastic sheeting, some drop lights, and look up "How to Grow World Class Giant Pumpkins". They will show you how to build a mini greenhouse for your vines so you can plant them out early and get them into some rich soil with room for their roots to spread. Be prepared though... Atlantic Giants grow about a foot per day and can use upwards of 2000 square feet of growing space PER PLANT! It sounds to me like they are wanting to run but can't. Hope this helps.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths