Mon, May 25, 09 at 8:32

the seeds (and the name I received them under):
Photobucket
grew into this:
dyfkomkommer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: does anyone know what this is??

It looks like a Virginia Creeper vine. It's related to poison ivy. However, most people are not allergic to it. It will climb all over the place and will be a pretty red color in the fall. It will spread.

o

larger pic--not virginia creeper. this vine is hollow. good try, though.
dyfkomkommer

o

Yep, Looks like VA creeper.

o

Definitely NOT Virginia creeper as that plant doesn't use tendrils and this mystery one does. Have you tried the Name That Plant forum here on GardenWeb? They are experts over there. There are books on vining plants that you could try to use, I have one at home actually maybe I will try to look it up later.

o

weirdtrev~yes, i've posted to name that plant & vines forums with no luck (virginia creeper is the popular guess). the vines, still in 3" pots but soon to be planted, are beginning to flower. they are extremely sweet smelling. i still have no idea what it is.
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Alright well I looked in my climbing plants book and the closest thing I can find is japanese hop (Humulus Scandens). Everything looks similar though I am not convinced that is what you have. Here is a URL with lots of pictures including pictures of the seed Japanese Hop: an invasive plant in the U.S.

o

Gynostemma pentaphyllum

o

the leaves and flowers of gynostemma look different than the ones on this vine. also, i've been growing japanese hops for quite a few years now--it's not that.

Here is a link that might be useful: gynostemma in flower

o

• Posted by sunnyk Z6 SW Coastal CT (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 22:40

I dont know if this will help any, but 'komkommer' translates to cucumber in Dutch....I cant find what 'dyf' translates to tho, sorry. Sure doesnt look anything cucmber-ish to me LOL.

Donna :)

o

It is Cyclanthera pedata.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cyclanthera pedata

o

Thank you so much! Mystery solved!

o

BTW, the Dutch name written in the first picture should read "Olijfkomkommer" or olive cucumber. (Sorry, can't get the special character of the joined 'j' to work here on the forum). This is known as a Mexican pickle here in the Netherlands and is eaten raw when young and pickled when older.

Susanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here