Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
planter_geek

Amount of time to get first Pumpkins

planter_geek
15 years ago

How long does it take to get Pumpkins from plants? Mine are starting to get somewhat big, and I wonder if I have any Pumpkins on the way.

Comments (10)

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

Depends on cultivar, early ones about 3 months, 4 months or more for some of them. (Days to maturity usually run between 90 and 140 days)

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

Last year I planted my pumpkins May 15th and I started noticing female flowers July 1st. So around 45 days you might start noticing baby pumpkins. Then only 30 days after that I had my first fully orange pumpkin. These were some generic pumpkin, the package just called them "pumpkin sugar or pie". The package said 100 - 110 days to maturity but I had my first after only 75 days. Typically you will see female flowers when the vine are 10 - 12 feet long. If your vines are that size it won't be long. It has been so cool and rainy over here that I haven't even planted my pumpkins yet.

• planter_geek
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Vines 10~12 feet long :S Oh ****, Mine must be too close together. Look. Any thoughts?

{{gwi:851089}}
    {{gwi:851092}}
    {{gwi:851095}}
    {{gwi:851098}}

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

What varieties of pumpkins did you plant? If you planted small varieties (I wouldn't plant pumpkins closer than 5 feet in all directions (closer if the plants are compact or semi-bush). What will happen since you planted you pumpkins so close is they will compete for space and you will get less pumpkins per vine (but you have more vines so it might balance out). Also I would consider closely planted vines more susceptible to disease. I think this year you should just chalk it up to experience and next year give them more space.

Even though your plants are still small they look really healthy so maybe you are lucky and have especially fertile soil.

One last thing, in the third picture you need to keep the vines away from those small plants (they look like peppers). The pumpkin will easily block out the light and kill those plants before they are big enough to fend for themselves.

• planter_geek
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's amazing to see how much growing has happened since those pictures were taken. I see A LOT more green now, and I've got a lot more plants in the ground now too, but I want the rest in hydroponics. You were right about them being peppers. Oh, now I've got 3 varieties of Pumpkins, the newest being a cool looking big white breed. I've got orange flowers blooming a lot, a vine that looks like a good 10 foot, and still no Pumpkins. I'm encouraging them to grow out of the garden area, so they can have the space they want. They seem to have came from a horror movie LOL killing and strangling anything in its path. I had a pumpkin vine climb to the top of a 4 foot Sunflower. Imagine it growing a Pumpkin at the top of a Sunflower and toppling the plant over. Also I noticed it uses this stringy curly type stuff to grab a hold of things and it will strangle them. I just wish it would kill weeds like you said it would kill other plants. Now the only things I will plant around them are Sunflowers, the tall kind, because they will easily grow above those vines and not be suffocated of sunlight, and if they start to climb the Sunflowers, I can put a stop to that, didn't happen often.

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

Since you have so many pumpkin plants I would love to see more pictures as the season progresses. The vines will prevent new weeds from growing onces there is a dense layer of leaves blocking out the light to the soil. The stringy curly things are called tendrils, they are very good at holding on to anything in their way. Tall plants are okay to be around pumpkins, low growing plants don't stand a chance. With all those plants it will be interesting to see how many pumpkins you get. Once the vines are big they can grow a foot per day! The vines that are 10 feet should start getting pumpkins fairly soon. My plants are just seedlings right now, I can't wait for them to start vining. I like the white pumpkins too, I found a variety last year called Valenciano. It is the whitest pumpkin I have ever seen, typically the "white" pumpkins take on shades of blue or grey, this one doesn't.

• planter_geek
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's an update on their progress. Not all the ground vines are Pumpkins obviously, and it seems like the cantaloupe do not get nearly as big, so they aren't crowding so much.

Unfortunately the Pumpkin plants have something wrong with them. It's possibly a fungus, but I went around and sprayed an entire bottle of fungicide spay on them and no changes. It may have been the wrong type of spray. You can see it in the last two pictures.

Now in that garden area you saw earlier is more peppered plants in the second picture from the top.

{{gwi:62443}}

{{gwi:851100}}{{gwi:851102}}{{gwi:851104}}

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

You have two things going on with your leaves. The bottom picture is a normal pattern that sometimes occurs in squash leaves, nothing wrong at all. However the white round dots on the left side of the second picture is powdery mildew. The plants look good though I am sure you will still get quite a few pumpkins.

• tcstoehr
    15 years ago

What the cripes is that blue and red, plasticky, shiny, weirdo-looking thing in the 4th picture way above?

• planter_geek
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's my Pulse Width Modulation Fan/Heatsync cooling system for my processor. Since I overclock my computer to higher speeds than what it was meant for and was having overheating problems, this helps greatly, and I thought I would just share a picture because I had just bought it. Now I am using it. The adjustable fan speeds go over 4000 rpm/minute, good for when my cpu usage stays high long periods of time.

Sponsored