Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hengal_gw

Anyone just now starting their gourds?

hengal
18 years ago

After experiencing this weird, cold weather, I'm really glad I haven't put them out yet. We're still getting nights in the 40's some nights - very strange weather for the end of May. I just put my seeds in cups lastnight to soak overnight. I'll sow them inside tonight when I get home. The largest ones I'm growing this year are kettles, so I think they'll still have time to mature fully (IF the weather cooperates!!LOL)

Comments (10)

• alda28
    18 years ago

Hi, I am just now finding little gourd plants that came up voluntarily. This is my first time to try to grow gourds and I am exited. I think I am also transplant them into large pots. Good luck.

• hengal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

How fun for you alda28! They're so fun to grow, I'm telling you, you'll be hooked!:)

• sundae
    18 years ago

Although I planted mine about April 25, they are now just coming up with in the last 4 days. It too has been colder then normal here in NW Ia. And along with these beautiful sprouts of course I am getting those hidious weeds!!!!!

Many volunteers too, due to the fact my son played kick the gourd with the ones that started to rot.

Sandy

• barbwatkins
    18 years ago

Yes! I plan to plant mine in July, I do it every year, of course I live in Arkansas and we have a pumpkin patch, so the gourds are just getting fininshed growing right in time for customers to pick their own. I do love them gourds!!

• gourd_friends
    18 years ago

DH got in a hurry and planted the first round about April 20. He has replanted some of those and our second planting of other gourds was May 10. The third planting was around May 17 or 18th. Most everything is up now and we are seeing the first "true" leaves on many plants.

Jan

• tazdevyl1
    18 years ago

I too am new to gardening, and I have posted and posted around this forum, and got ONE answer to all my questions. I hear great things about this forum, but for me it so far hasnt been a pleasant experience. Altho some of the questions I no longer need answers too, since I went on my merry way. Mistakes are experience right? LOL Anyway, I decided to do a pumpkin patch this year. Im growing Big Max Pumpkins. I planted them last week. ( I did this YEARS ago, and planted them in the compost pile, and had forgotten about them. Went outside one day and all I saw was orange. LOL
    I think my problem is one of 2 things. Either I planted them too deep down, or the soil isnt all that great. ( Plus it has been raining the past 4 days.) Tonight I put the soiled bunny litter (5 bunnies+Corn Cob Litter) over the patch, hoping that might help. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Ive also just transplanted my Zucchini,Squash, and Kale today. Tomorrow is the watermelons. Still unsure of the cilantro, so that is still in its pot.

• sandbagger
    18 years ago

Its been cold here so Im not surprised they aren't up yet...pumpkins like warm soil to germinate...I start mine indoors at 85 degrees....might take a while outside with this cool NE spring.

• cat_2100
    18 years ago

Wow,

I am so glad others are wondering this year.
    I moved last year so haven't had a gourd crop
    now for 2 yrs......and its been driving me nuts.
    The last crop I did grow I had such good luck
    and got a bumper crop(about 100 or more gourds).
    Last year I put some in the ground in holes I dug
    in the yard...to no avail though they didn't make
    it.
    This year I have tons planted. So cross your fingers
    that its a bumper crop this year again for all of us.
    I have Apple,Bushel,Swan,Kettle,Birdhouse,Wren House,
    Caveman and I think a couple other types out there.
    Theya re up and growing....and I have the first layer of
    straw around them and all over the patch since I hate
    weeds and really can't weed anymore because of my back.
    Soooooooooooo Wooooooohooooooooooooooooo
    Lets Grow Gourds... Pumpkins will go in, in a few days.
    Here's hopeing we have a good year CHEERS Fellow Growers.
    Cathy

• Lillie1441
    18 years ago

Hengal-I replied to the e-mail you sent me about the mini tools but it was returned.I just tried to send it again but if it doesn't get to you I purchased the tools at Harbour Freight.They are Chicago brand 3 in 1 mini tool set.If you need more information try e-mailing me again......Lillie

• msbunny
    18 years ago

I just started some of my gourds today! (6-16-05) In the ground, not started inside. Our growing season here will run til the end of Oct. and maybe even into Nov.
    If you've never grown gourds before....be prepared to save seeds! You'll do it again next season.

Sponsored