Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snake Gourds in Michigan?

Posted by rhonni z5MI (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 08 at 11:50

Hi everyone
I haven't been here in a lonnnnnnnggggggg time..........but glad to be back!
Even though it is cold out today and a bit rainy, I think it's time to get the gourd seeds in the garden. I have been hesitating because of the cool spring, late frosts, etc, but if I want anything to take, now's the time.
I bought some "snake gourds" off ebay and was wondering if anyone knew the time to maturity on these. I haven't found much on the 'net. I want them to coil and be like snakes so I will let them vine on the ground but was wondering if anyone had any tips on these or knew how long they would take.
I am also planting birdhouse, extra long dipper, warty mix, maranka, autumn wing blend (from Jung) and the small fancy mix. I have on order bushel gourd seeds, martin gourds, egg gourds and luffa sponge gourd seeds. I am thinking it is way too late to plant the luffa seeds so I'll probably just do that next year. I have heard they take 4-5 months and I don't have that hear unless I would have started them from seed a few weeks ago.
I grew birdhouse, mix and swans the last few years and wanted to branch out!
happy to be here!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snake Gourds in Michigan?

I have seen many different gourds referred to as snake gourds. The two I am familiar with are both hard shelled gourds (with the white flowers). One is solid pale green and over 4 feet long the other is dark green with white stripes and smaller than the other one. I normally plant my gourds around May 15th and I have at least one ready for the State Fair (around August 31st). So I guess 105 days is a good minimum, but I think 120 days is more appropriate because that is around when most of the gourds on the vine are ready to pick.

o
RE: Snake Gourds in Michigan?

Thanks for your response weirdtrev! I have planted all my gourd seeds and the only thing that has not come up are the bushels. I did see they can take up to 3 weeks but I may have planted them too deep. Already have beetles since I didn't rotate crop from last year so dusted with Sevin. Will keep you posted on the snake gourds -- who knows what will come from those!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here