Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pelusawoman

Dickinson Pumpkin (squash?)

pelusawoman
15 years ago

Could anyone give me the lowdown on Dickinson pumpkin, the one that Libby's uses? It seems inconceivable to me that an open-pollinated seed is controlled by a single company, but I can't seem to locate it. Is it available by another name? Does anyone have personal experience with it, to compare it with other varieties?

...just call me a pumpkin addict.

Comments (7)

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

It is called the Dickinson. It is a C. Moschata ( Butternut group) and the characteristic flavor of that group. Seeds by Design produces most of the commercail seed, Terra Organics is their retail outlet. A hybrid version is Autumn Buckskin ( New England Seed) Sandhill Preservation also carries Dickinson.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dickenson Pumpkin

• pelusawoman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the leads, Farmerdilla. You're a wealth of information!

• cats_pajamas
    15 years ago

I was able to purchase a packet of Dickenson seeds at Peaceful Valley Organics (groworganic.com). I also heard Golden Delicious Hubbard is excellent for pies as is Autumn Buckskin but I can't find that one yet.

• nick123
    15 years ago

I'm trialling Dickinson and 18 other commercial cultivars of C. moschata this year, along with several selections of my own crossings. My trial gardens are in unamended top soil and do not get any sprays. So far, Dickinson seems to be a loser for me, as it has a low rate of emergence, low vigor, and suffers from bacterial fruit blotch and wilt. Three that appear to be winners are "Really Big", "Barbara", and "Rogosa Violina Gioia", all three butternut shaped.

• bluelacedredhead
    14 years ago

I'm growing what appears to be a butternut type, similar in shape to a Violina, but much larger I'm told.

I was wondering if it was the "Really Big" that Nick123 mentioned in his reply?

Nick, if you see this post, or anyone else who is familiar with this variety, where might I find pics for this variety? TY

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Really big is just a big hybrid butternut rated at 4-6 lbs. Little fatter than most. Introduced in 2000

Here is a link that might be useful: Really Big Butternut

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

"Really Big"? Good marketing name there. :-)

I'm growing Argonaut butternuts -- 15-25lbs -- for the first time this year.

I'll readily admit that's too big for the average family. But I have 4 kids and two are teenagers. So the squash goes fast.

Here is a link that might be useful: Argonaut

Sponsored