Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spaghetti squash

Posted by garden_fool zone 9 TX (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 08 at 13:50

When do I pick the spaghetti squash. I have never grown this type before. Thanks for the information

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spaghetti squash

It is a winter squash. It can be picked when the skin is hard ( not easily cut with a fingernail)

o

I have another question. On the seed pack it showes the spaghetti squash to be yellow but mine are light green and some are darker green. I cut one of the light green ones open and there was no spaghetti.

o

There are several; different cultivars of spaghetti squash. It is a winter squash. All I have experience with are a buff yellow or almost white when ripe. It is a winter squash. Typically boiled or baked whole, then cut open, and the flesh scraped out with a fork. In essence it is a very stringy winter squash. These strings resemble spaghetti and in fact make a very good substitute.

o

The "spaghetti" is more obvious when it's cooked. I cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, then boil or steam until the flesh is tender but not too soft. I drain and scoop out the strings from the hard skin. Serve like spaghetti with a sauce or butter with parmesan cheese and herbs.

o

The green ones aren't ready. They start off pale green and then turn dark green and then turn yellow. Very similar to how a pumpkin starts off light green, then dark green, then orange. Wait till the squash turn the color you expect them to be before you harvest them.

o

I did not pick mine last year until September. The package suggested that they had to be "cured". I picked them when they were ripe, and allowed them to sit in the sun for 7 days or so as instructed to cure. I still have three left from last years harvest! I got about 30 from 4 vines.

o

my light spaghetti squash are turning dark green

o

I have two plants out of twelve that are producing speckled dark green fruit. The seeds are from a store bought spaghetti squash so I assume cross pollination with pumpkins. The rest are solid light green from flowering to full size.

o

I have a few volunteer vines from some steer manure I applied last year. One I believe is a spaghetti squash that has yet to mature...

o

• Posted by girlbug2 z9/10, Sunset zone 2 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 21:49

Reggie 101, that's an awesome squash, whatever it is. Keep us posted when you harvest and tell us if it is a spaghetti squash or something else.

o

Well, it is not going to hurt if you leave them on the vine. You can keep them for months. But the mature one definitely will develop that "SPAGHETTI" characteristic when cooked. But when the stem has turned brown(no longer is green) it is don with the plant and can live without it.

o

Here is a pic of a spaghetti squash I grew from seed from a store-bought squash last fall. The squash I purchased and ate was NOT dark green. Should I assume this will change color when it matures? It's already nearly a foot long.

o

The chances that any squash grown from a store bought wil be a crosspollinated mutt are very high. squash are very promiscuos. That one looks as if its daddy was a zucchini. It will change color when ripe, but consider it a surprise package.

o

Thanks, farmerdill! I will post pics as it matures and, of course, of the final outcome on my dinner table!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here