Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sami_i_am

Powdery mildew

sami_i_am
15 years ago

GAH. Last year I lost all my zucchini and pumpkin plants to powdery mildew. I tried the organic method of PM control recommended by my local garden center: copper soap. It did a whole lotta nothing.

It's back. And this year I want it GONE. I have a fungicide for roses but it specifically states that it's not meant for edible plants.

What is your favorite fungicide for destroying powdery mildew on edible plants?

Comments (7)

• Macmex
    15 years ago

Sami, I have lived in pretty wet humid environments and never used a fungicide. I just timed my plantings, or, in case of an occurrence which couldn't be avoided, I would tear out the plants and start again, if necessary. Sometimes I could let things alone and the plant would produce before it died.

I've heard that there is a systemic fungicide out there, which really works. But I eat my squash and am leery of using such a thing.

Be sure to leave sufficient space between your plantings. This allows for better air circulation. I bet you have time to start over, if necessary.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

Did you get fruit on your pumpkins and zucchini? It is odd that you are seeing powdery mildew this early. I normally don't get hit with powdery mildew until there are already fruits on the plant, at which point having the plant killed by powdery mildew doesn't concern me at all. As long as your plants are vigorous and healthy it is unlikely they will get hit by PM it is only when they become weakened from stress or old age that I ever notice PM.

• akowaleski
    15 years ago

I have heard a mixture of 1 quart water, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 tablespoon of canola oil works to kill and prevent powdery mildew.

• sami_i_am
    Original Author
    15 years ago

George, I hate to tear out my plants, but maybe I will do a second planting in another area of my yard, if I can find a spot!

weirdtrev, I have gotten one full-grown zucchini and I see a couple of yellow squash have been properly fertilized and are starting to swell. Thanks for your input; it does make sense that once the plants are established enough to set fruit they will survive powdery mildew all right.

Thank you, akowaleski, for the suggestion. I will try that too!

• momamamo
    15 years ago

1 part milk (can be nonfat) and 9 parts water. Spray weekly. Maureen

• magickiwi
    15 years ago

Maureen has it right - mix up 1 part skim milk and 9 parts water (I add a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid to help it stick to the leaves) and spray away. If you do this in the spring the minute your plants begin growing you should not get mildew. You can do a google search for " Powdery Mildew and Milk " (without the quotes) and read all about it!
    Good luck

• stevo_in_socal
    9 years ago

I used
    1/2 cup canola oil
    1/4 cup olive oil
    5 cups of water
    10 drops dawn liquid detergent (measure carefully) too much will kill a plant or scorch the leaves badly
    1 egg yolk to emulsify the oil and water and make the two molecules bind together so that it no longer separates.

Blend on high and save in the refrigerator. Spray liberally on leaves. This also treats aphids.