Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first try at gourds :)

Posted by wert9wert z10FL (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 05 at 15:28

Wow!!!! The leaves on the gourd plants are big! I'm watering them every day (right?) and they're doing great.

Loretta

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first try at gourds :)

Welcome to the gourd forum.
It would be better to water them deeply about every five days. It is more important that the roots grow deep in this early stage of growth.
Good Luck,

Jan

o

My goodness ... these gourds are fun! I swear one of the vines grew a foot over night. The leaves are as big as my head! No flowers yet :( but lots of new growth :)

o

• Posted by vml68 Columbus, OH (My Page) on
    Mon, May 30, 05 at 16:31

What kind of gourds did you plant and when?

o

I'm growing canteen gourds. In April I started the 10 seeds in pots and got three plants. I built a tent like structure (like an inverted V) ten feet long and six feet tall, using pcv pipe and put a vegetable trellis over it. One plant is about a foot and a half, the other about two feet and the third about four feet. It's in full sun all day and I water the plants at least every other day if it doesn't rain. They all look quite healthy.

Every morning when the sun comes up, I rush out to see how they're growing. This is all so exciting!!!!

o

Good for you!!! My husband and I have just decided to grow some gourds too. I have just nicked and they are now soaking. I am soo excited. I think these will remind us of squash how they just take off and before you know it there was squash everywhere :). I hope these will be the same. I like to see almost instant results, Giant Sunflowers and others that take off quickly. I am happy for you and will soon be jumping for joy myself.

o

Less frequent water is best, but if you have sandy soil, that may not work as well. Water well, then watch them closely, day by day, and take careful note of how long you can go before the leaves start to wilt, then don't count that last day. Three days may be better for you if you can.

Also, mulching heavily around the root area may help keep the moisture in.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here