Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erica954

Flattened Squash Stems?

Erica954
11 years ago

Good afternoon friends,

I am having a small dilemma: all of my squash plants are dying. I have planted several varieties of cucurbits including lemon cucumber, yellow squash, zucchini, cantaloupe, and pumpkin. Each time, the seedlings begin to develop true leaves and within a few weeks, the leaves begin to wilt. When I pull the wilted plant out of the ground, the stem looks as if it has been flattened. I am novice gardner, but have never experienced this. Last year's crops were very successful until squash vines borers ruined them. Yet, it is too early for SVB's and I have yet to even see any of the moths. I have seen both striped and spotted beetles within my garden area however. Lack of water or overwatering is not an issue. Does anyone have any ideas as to what can be plaguing my beloved plants? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Kindest regards to all :)

Comments (3)

• Erica.Dixon954
    11 years ago

weirdtrev, Thank you so much! Damping off is exactly what it looks like. Go figured I tried to research the general symptoms for hours and this never came up! Originally, I tried to add a picture, but there was never an option to...did you simply copy/paste yours? Thank you so much again!!!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living