Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
campv8baz

What Type of Squash is This?

campv 8b AZ
9 years ago

We thought that we were planting Early White Bush Scallop Squash but it appears that we did not.

Comments (17)

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a immature squash.

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Appears to be an acorn type.

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well Ferry Morse package reads "Squash Early White Bush Scallop". It reminded us of the same thing(acorn) but appears to be getting lighter in color. We have no other squash growing except reg. zucchini and it just beginning to flower. This plant is loaded.

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Whatever it is, It is not the early white bush scallop. From your photo, it appears to be a vining squash.The White Bush start with the scallop shape and stays white through its entire growing cycle.
    {{gwi:90919}}
    A typical ving acorn. {{gwi:34021}}

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeh, we know it is not what the packaged said it was and we know what a bush scallop looks like. We are trying to find out what it is, so we can take care of it correctly.
    Any one got a clue?
    Could it be a white acorn?

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Possible, but all vining C.pepo squash need the same care. Space, and protection form squash vine borers. No specific demands for nutrients, If any cucurbit will grow under your conditions, these will also. It really does not matter whether it is dark green acorn, a white acorn, multicolored acorn or even a delicata or vegetable spahghetti culture is the same. Also applies to C. maxima like kabocha, buttercups, hubbards.

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How do we know the proper time to harvest?

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Same as all winter squash, when the skin is too tough to cut with a fingernail. They have better flavor when allowed to cure (dry) for a couple of weeks. When possible wait for the vines to die back. Acorns can be used as summer squash when young, but not as good as a zucchini.

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

up- date we were trying to control the vine (which was originally going to be a bush) and look what popped out. This one is huge. Still think it is the acorn family?????
    How will the heat effect it here in AZ this time of year?
    Thank You for your informaion

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Yes I still think it is an acorn type. Some of them get 5-6 lbs. of course it could be crossed with something bigger and still retain the acorn shape.

• Christian
    9 years ago

Yes definitely looks like an acorn type to me too. I think once the fruit is growing the heat wont affect it much. The heat mainly affects the pollination of the flowers.

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was really looking forward to the little sweet UFO squash but some times you just got to go with what you get.
    Thanks Everyone
    Arizona---- and we hit 101 today!

This post was edited by campv on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 17:17

• janetta007
    9 years ago

The same thing is happening to me. I planted the Ferry-Morse Early White Bush Scallop squash and I am getting the same thing you have growing.

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok so its not just me. Yep that's what my seed package looked like. Watch out janetta these plants gets huge and so does the squash. The one pictured above with my shoe is now twice the size and that was just a few days ago. I started nipping the end of the vines so it will not travel more.
    Are you located in AZ? I think I purchased the pk @
    Wal-Mart.

• AngieInAR
    9 years ago

Same thing happening to me. I'm in Arkansas and purchased the same packet at WalMart. I may leave one or two vines and pull up the rest as the vines are already getting unwieldy and there's still enough time here to buy a packet of bush scallops from another company.

• AngieInAR
    9 years ago

Is it possible that it's blue Hubbard? Found this photo on google image search. If so, those things get enormous.

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The very first squash (top picture) got to be about the size of very large grape fruit(maybe bigger) and now is turning a very dark green and the shape stayed the same.
    All the other squash (including the shoe picture) are huge and a light colored still and have not turned the dark green. Don't know if they will maybe there is more than one type of wrong seeds in the pk.
    Note:The Blue Hubbard has a smaller dia. @ the stem area--- compare photos

Sponsored