Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chitted cucumber seeds?

Posted by plantslayer 8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 17:09

Hello everyone,

I, like a lot of people, find it difficult to get cucumber seeds to sprout. Therefore, I want try out the time-honored practice of chitting (aka pre-sprouting, pre-germinating, greensprouting, etc.) my cucumber seeds and planting them in the ground once the seeds have just germinated.

Getting the seeds to germinate is easy enough (just wrap them in a moist towel and keep this in a bag), but I was wondering about how the planting part works. Do I plant them at the same depth etc. as I would the ungerminated seed? Does it matter what directly the seed is oriented when it goes in? Will the seedling handle slightly cooler temperatures than those in which it germinated?

THanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chitted cucumber seeds?

Try this next year.Some old timers say try and plant them on May 1 and you will have a good crop.I ways do it and have some many

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here