Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dinkeydot

Tennessee Spinner Gourds

dinkeydot
18 years ago

I had a few TN Spinner seeds and have planted them in a large terra cotta pot on my back porch. I put in a tomato cage for them to climb on. They are doing great and I have quite a few little gourds growing now. Since I have never grown this kind of gourd before I was wondering about their habits. I understand that since they are so little that they can do very well in a pot but I would like to know if they run like other gourds and do they have the male and female flowers like other gourd vines. The reason I ask is that I see many females but haven't seen a male yet and I worry that the females will just die off. Would like any info or suggestions from anyone that is familiar with the Spinners. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• Gourd_Guy
    18 years ago

Yeah, they run like mad-I grow mine on an 8 x 16 foot trellis, and a half dozen plants absolutely overwhelm it. they grow male and female flowers, be patient. many, MANY will grow at the same time.the flowers tend to open early morning, and the carpenter bumblebees did all the pollenating for me. It takes very little time for a fertilized gourd to reach drying size. last year, off of 6 plants, I probably harvested about 200 gourds. very prolific little things...

• sowngrow (8a)
    18 years ago

Wow-those sound cool. Post a picture for us to see when they grow Dot!
    Robin

• dinkeydot
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info, Kevin. It sounds like I will have to give my Spinners more to climb on than just the tomato cage. Do you get many seeds from your mature spinners? I have a few in my workshop and they don't sound as though they have any seeds in them?
    I will try to post pictures later, Robin. Thanks for your reply.
    Dottie

• Gourd_Guy
    18 years ago

No problem - the spinning gourds seeds tend to be clumped up and tangled in a web of grass-like fibers. that`s why they don`t rattle. there`s usually between 20 and 50 seeds in each one. And, yeah, I get all mine from ones saved from the previous year.

• donna_in_tn
    18 years ago

Someone back in the hills told me that on old neighbor of his had a spot behind the barn where the little spinning gourds came up on their own every year. One year they didn't appear (more like there was probalby a really late frost that got them) and that was the end of them. Then 15 years later a plant came up and they were back again. Since people started talking about this gourd, seems like I keep finding them coming from different sources, as if they were here in TN all along, but it took good ol' SSE member Junior Gordon to put them back into the hands of commercial suppliers.

• mogardening
    18 years ago

Should tennessee spinners be trimmed to 10 foot as I've read for other gourds? Or just let them go wild?

• dinkeydot
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mogardening,
    I imagine you can treat these gourds like any other. I will sometimes cutback my vines and sometimes not. It all depends on the room that they have to grow. I understand that when you clip the vines at 10 feet that they will then put their energy in to producing gourds instead of growing.
    Dottie