Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markmein

Early season squash results - Delicata, Butternut, Trombetta

markmein
14 years ago

I've had some squash starts outside and in the ground for several weeks now. I started the seed indoors in coir pots, hardened them, and planted them. I planted the coir pots in the ground to avoid disturbing the seedling roots. I sliced the bottom of each pot before starting the seed so the roots would have an easier time passing through.

Under a cloche I have vining Butternut and Delicata, elsewhere (uncovered) I have a Trombetta. Our weather has not been particularly warm, or cold.

After several weeks the Delicata seem to be taking off. There are multiple leaves, and the vining seems about to take off. The Butternut is not doing as well. It hasn't grown as much and the leaves shown some signs of damage. The Trombetta hasn't grown even less, with it's leaves a bit yellowed.

I'm thinking that the Butternut and Trombetta will get going once we get warmer, sunnier weather. The Delicata seems to be anything but, in comparison to the other two.

Comments (8)

• tcstoehr
    14 years ago

"Early season results". For this part of the world, you ain't kidding. I moved my squashes from the cold frame to the garden around May 1st. We had a light frost on May 8th. Most of my little squashes look pretty unhappy, but not bad, all things considered. The extras that were left in the cold frame look much better. I'm sure the increasing temperatures will help them all out.

• markmein
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The delicata are still out-growing the butternut, but one of the butternut has perked up and started growing well. The other butternut is in a SE corner of a vegetable bed and might not be getting as much sun. The trombetta is perking up too after I harvested some adjacent greens that might have been casting shade. I'm thinking that once the trombetta and the pokey butternut get onto the trellis or out of the bed and onto the path, respectively, they'll do fine.

My Lesson: Squash need sunshine, I think.

• booberry85
    14 years ago

"Early season results?" Mine are all doing fine in their seed packets! ROFL! We just had our last frost warning (I hope) Monday night. I won't plant out until this coming weekend or next weekend.

• albionwood
    14 years ago

pdxmark, have you checked soil temperatures? I've noticed that has a profound effect on growth rates of summer vegetables.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

"Early season results"?
    Hi Y'all,

I have been enjoying my squash (striped zuchinnies) for a week now. My first scallopini squash will be ready in a day or two.(they are both bush type and nicely compact)
    So will be cucumbers, any day. My gourds (Luffa, swan, birdhouse...) have vines over 12 ft long and have just started flowering.

All of this is happening where considered zone 7.5(not quite 8), while Portland Oregan is zone 8 and you guys are still babying those little Squakies (Grin). I do not understand this zoning thing.

By the way, I have direct sowed all of my cucurbitas, no greenhouse, no cold frame, no indoors, no peat pots.
    Our last frost scare was on/around April 10th. I had to cover them then otherwize they could've been zapped.

• markmein
    Original Author
    14 years ago

With this latest warm weather the delicata and butternut both have 6-12 nice, full-sized leaves and are heading toward vining. One butternut is behind the delicata & the other butternut, but the slow one is in a bit of a shadow at the edge of the raised bed and is now getting up above the lip.) Likewise, the trombetta is getting up above the edge of its raised bed and adjacent greens.

Now to get the english cucumber I put in the ground a couple weeks ago up above its neighboring cilantro. (Actually, I'll be harvesting the cilantro this weekend since it is starting to bolt.) I'm looking forward to another batch of cilantro pesto.

• markmein
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We've eaten the trombetta a couple ways now -- grilled and sauteed. They taste great, with hints of traditional zucchini, but have a denser, drier, pulpier texture (in a good way) than regular zukes. Trombetta are a keeper so far.

• plainolebill
    13 years ago

Googled Trombetta and got this thread - when I searched Garden Web earlier this didn't show up. Oh well. I'm happy to hear that the Trombetta grows in Portland, I live in Corvallis and have the seed sitting right in front of me.

I understand that this squash when mature is a winter squash like butternut, can anyone confirm that? If so we may plant several and let one go without harvesting until fall.

We're munching on kale, using upland cress and chervil to supplement our salads and have a dozen or so heads of garlic left from last summer's crop.

Have a great garden season!

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County