Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How are your gourd plants doing?

Posted by gourd_friends z5/6 IL (My Page) on
Tue, May 16, 06 at 19:45

Ordinarily, dh would have planted the seeds in the soil the first time the temps topped 75. Not so this year! Our planting area has been torn up due to the old barn burning down and the debris being buried on site.
We have a very rough garden area and lots of clay on top.
And, though the first warm spell has passed, we've had some heavy rains and some very cool temps.
We're hoping to have the soil prepped by the 27th, and plant with the New Moon.

Actually, I'm glad we haven't had any gourds growing before now. I think we would have lost many plants, or they would have been stunted, to say the least.

So, how's everything in your gourd patch??

Jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How are your gourd plants doing?

Hi Jan. I started some seeds in peat pots a month ago today and added a few more each week. Total of about 45. Having sporadic luck. Only about 17 have germinated so far. I dug a lot up and found that many seeds have rotted. Been starting seeds for years and never had this problem. Got my gourd patch ready to go. I have two "A" frame trellis that are 5 ft high and 10 ft long and covered with nylon web for vines to climb. This year I set them 6 ft apart and put a 6 by 6 ft section of chain link fence on top. Am planning on planting some long handled dippers and some snake gourds around them. I have already put 3 ft wide plastic where the gourds are to be planted (warms the soil) and have started putting dried grass mulch and horse nurky on the rest of the ground to keep out the weeds. If we get the warm weather they are predicting for next week, I may plant some the larger gourds which have 3 or more true leaves. We've had loads of rain this past week or so and the ground is in good shape. Anxious to get going. Gene (I have some pix of my little gourd patch and of some of the gourds I grew last year on my picture trail site if you're interested) www.picturetrail.com/genepa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here