Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interesting

Posted by cassieinmass 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 11, 09 at 20:49

I put last years pumpkin into my compost pile, and needless to say now I have about 6 seedlings growing...me and my boyfriend are kind of excited by this and are going to let them keep growing there. The only problem is my compost pile is in the middle of two HUGE maple trees and completely shaded. (We are new to composting and know now that we put the pile in a bad spot, and were going to move it up until we saw the pumpkins)
My question is, will the pumpkin grow long enough to get some sun? Will it grow any pumpkins in the shade? I think either way im going to let it just do its thing. It looks lovely out there! -Cass

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interesting

You never know what to expect from the mystery cucurbits that pop up out of the compost. Some years I get cool squash/melons from them. Some years its just green leaves.

The vine may run its way into the sun and set fruit if its not too far.

o

Last year I had a gourd sprout near a compost pile in my backyard which is very shaded by 5 big trees. The vine grew to about 12 feet and had a single gourd. So you may get something. I wouldn't let all 6 grow because then they will be competing for nutrients even in a compost pile. I would only leave 2 or 3 if I were you. You can try moving the others if they are still small.

o

with no sun it is doubtfull that the voluntiers can produce any fruit. However, if the vine goes further to get sunshine, it may. The leaves need sun for photo synthesis. The root can be in the shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here