Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer Squash seedlings leggy - Need Help!!!

Posted by thesteelpitt PA (My Page) on
Thu, May 7, 09 at 22:22

I am a beginner gardener and my summer squash are leggy. I'm starting them inside in individual peat pots and they shot up really fast and got too heavy for their stems and fell over. After a day they curled up towards the grow light, so now I have plants that are shaped like an "S". Is this OK? Should I start new seedlings? I read on one forum (it's the only one that that I could find to say this) that you can plant summer squash deep and their stems will take root like tomato plants. Is this true?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer Squash seedlings leggy - Need Help!!!

I wouldn't give up on them. I would not bury their stems deep, maybe just above the root ball. Most summer squash takes 45-60 to maturity. I started some in mid July last year and still got a decent crop (I'm in upstate NY.) So you have plenty of time to start from seed.

Summer squash (all squashes) prefer not to have their roots disturbed. You might be better direct seeding them into your garden.

o
RE: Summer Squash seedlings leggy - Need Help!!!

start new seedsdurectly in your garden. They will germinate according to the air and soil temperture on their own terms.It is not a good and practical idea to start CUCURBITA indoors. Once germinated , they an get pretty leggy fast. Even the ones grown by rofessional nurseries in full fledged green houses do get leggy.

I only bought few japanes Cuke seedling from Lowes and they were leggy (about 8") I had hard time to handle and manage them, because I could not burry all those long legs in the ground at once. l planted them in a big hole and put straws around them and packed soil little by little. I seeded the rest of my cukes directly in my garden and they are doing better than store-bought seedling.
So did I with all my squash and gourds. I am harvesting squash now and my gourds have 10 ft long vines. Of course , I am in a warmer zone than you are. But for squash there shouldn't be problem in up state NY.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here