Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quillsd

Will this work

quillsd
14 years ago

this is my second year trying to grow pumpkins. Last year it was done last minute trying to grow giant pumpkins and white pumpkins. I started them from seed late and got vines and male flowers but other than that nothing. After doing alot more research i'm trying to grow conneticut field pumpkins for jack-o-lanterns this year. My question is I'm planning a raised bed that measures 8' by 8' by 8" deep. i already have my seeds planted. I'm just wondering if this combo should work, i did move the bed to the other side of the yard with full sunlight. thanks for any help.

Comments (19)

• weirdtrev
    14 years ago

What combo? Either I am missing something or you left out a detail. Connecticut Field pumpkins in a raised bed is fine. I would only have one maybe two plants in that space unless they can grow off the sides of the raised bed.

• quillsd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They can grow like carzy. my biggest question is are these easier to grow than my earlier varieties. i tried giant pumpkins last year with no results. I'm hoping to get a few pumpkins this year.

• weirdtrev
    14 years ago

Eh I think they are all about the same difficulty. The really big ones take more space and nutrients though. I have seen field trials of various jack-o-lantern type pumpkins where they averaged 0.5 pumpkins per plant (aka one pumpkin per two separate plants). If you want more pumpkins go for smaller varieties. I like growing gourds as well as pumpkins just because gourds are VERY productive (I can get 50 per plant) whereas pumpkins might only give me one or two per plant.

• quillsd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My pumpkin patch is growing nicely after a brief visit by some local rabbits. I must say that the plants appear healthy and are starting to spread out.

• quillsd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

June 20th:

Plants are doing great, lots of growth. I'm most amazed by hoealthy the stems look. We've had lot of rain for almost a week now and not much sunshine. The stems a growing very nicely and the plan'ts are starting to vine out. I can't wait until we get some sun and really warm temps.

• quillsd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

July 4th

Plants are doing really good. One vine is at 7'6" and starting to flower, another is at 7' and also starting to flower. The third vine is at just over 6' no flowers yet but everything is really growing quite well.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

pinch the tips off the mains to grow laterals. Laterals tend to produce more female flowers than main.

• quillsd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for the hint. i found another female flower tonight on my second vine. the main vine grew another 6 inches today. i'm really amazed by haow fast these plants grow.

• quillsd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

here is a pic

Here is a link that might be useful:

• quillsd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

here's another pic

• quillsd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

another pic taken tonight

• quillsd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

here are some of the female flowers.

• quillsd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

more flower pics

• quillsd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

one more pic of flowers

• quillsd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

here are some updated pics

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

They're coming along very nicely.

• quillsd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

here are some pics taken tonight

• quillsd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

here's a better pic of pumpkin 1 growing

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

How nice!

I saw my first, golf-ball-sized Lumina today. :-)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living