Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karlieb_gw

Saw my first SVB eggs today

Karlieb
11 years ago

Squash vine borer eggs on my delicata squash; I couldn't find any eggs on any of my other 5 varieties. I've been looking for these eggs since May 1st as I figured they'd get an early start this year in Southeast Kansas.

Last year these guys killed everything we had no matter how long I spent each day picking off eggs.

I think I'll be spraying this year.

Comments (7)

• ActionClaw (Northern Ohio zone:5a/5b)
    11 years ago

Any photos? More detailed description?
    This could be useful to others.

I thought Squash vine borer laid in the soil at the base or directly into the stem.I didn't think you could see the eggs as you can with cucumber beetles; only the evidence that they hatched and it's too late.

• lam13
    11 years ago

Oh no, they lay eggs just about anywhere on the plant. The eggs are small - about the size of a pin head- and reddish brown in color. I have had a terrible time with them on my crooknecks and zucchini. I have picked hundreds of eggs, but the borer prevailed and I lost 2 plants so far. The other 2 have been invaded - I had to cut the stem and pull out the larvae, then bury the stem to root and hopefully save the rest of the plant. It's up in the air as to whether I will get any more fruit. I think next year I will try row covers.

Good luck with yours! Let us know what you spray with and how they do!

• rstorch
    11 years ago

I read a good article the other day that suggested spraying w BT every week to kill the larvae once they hatch. Also, to put aluminum foil around the bast of your plant so they can't bore in, but honestly, I've seen them go in around where the stems meet the base too. It might be worth a try since I've lost most of my plant again this year to them. Will be using an insecticide next year. I hate it, but it's apparently either that or no squash. And I love squash. =)

• Sid23
    11 years ago

The eggs must look similar to the squash bug eggs then? I looked them up and can hardly tell the difference! Guess it doesn't matter will try to get rid of ALL of them! I worry about the vine borers worse than the bugs. I over plant and it is hard to get to the base of the plants to see what is going on.

• Sid23
    11 years ago

Hmmm.....They do look different. My squash bugs must be getting lazy then. I have the clusters which I knew were from the bugs but they are under the leaves, on top of the leaves, down the leaf stems and sometimes spread apart (not in a tight cluster) by � inch or so. Have found 10~12 clusters on top of the leaves. Never saw them on top last year and I was infested! I will post pics when I get a chance. Have to remember on PB which link to copy, can you remind me wierdtrev? Thanks!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor