Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucurbita maxima Zapallo Macre??

Posted by LiannaB Colorado (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 12 at 23:44

My brother lives in Chile and gave me some saved seeds to try. Mostly they're not germinating, but of the three zapallo macre squash seeds that he saved while in Peru, one has come up. I started them in pots because I had no idea what to expect. Now I want to plant this thing in the garden but I haven't been able to figure out how much room to give it. There's not much information online that I've been able to find. Anyone know anything about this plant? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucurbita maxima Zapallo Macre??

I don't have any information on particular variety, But C. maxima in general is a vine squash which can run 10-15 feet.http://eatingchile.blogspot.com/2010/03/zapallos-pumpkins-and-squash-gourds-of.html http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/saladssidedishes/r/pumpkinsoup.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Zapallo macre

o

I found a page on them in Spanish that might help http://www.monografias.com/trabajos59/cultivo-zapallo/cultivo-zapallo.shtml From what I understand it takes a long season, 150-160 days :o and I think it says to plant them in rows 6-8 mt (meters?) apart and spaced 2 mt... I do not know much Spanish and I think something might be lost in Google translation.

Does this squash have another name? Now I'm curious about this squash and I've already got a dangerous obsession with squash.

o

This just gets sillier. It's possible that I picked out the wrong cucurbita variety in trying to guess what it was. According to my brother the seeds came, not from Peru, but from the Bolivian altiplano, which is high in altitude (quite a bit higher than where I am in Colorado) and has a fairly short growing season. However he told me that the similar squash in Chile are 2 to 3 feet across and that all of these sorts of squash are sold in the markets in South America by the chunk.

I have a neighbor who has abandoned her garden to weeds. I may ask her if I can use it to plant this experiment. Based on what you both said and the possible size of the fruit this could be one big-ass plant!

If anyone has any knowledge about squash of the Bolivian altiplano, I'm still curious. Otherwise I'll share what I find out by planting this guy.

o

Hello. I said I would follow up and here you go. We harvested one huge squash this week and there is another on the vine. I snipped other female flowers that threatened to fruit so I could get one big squash. I did. I'll let the photos tell you the story, if you're interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picasa zapallo album

o

Hi great pics. Would love to find out if I could get a few 5/6 seeds of the squash from u. I cannot see an e/m addy to send off to u. TY Bill

o

Wow that is really cool! Its like a big green pumpkin. Now how do you know its ripe? Is it supposed to stay green?

o

LiannaB, You grew a real zapallo macre, the same as the ones grown in Peru, so how can I obtain some seeds from you?

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here