Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spotted the dread moth

Posted by vtgreenthumb (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 28, 09 at 0:28

I spotted my first SVB Moth ever today. I noticed it was messing with the tops of my plants, not the base. It seemed to be messing with my beloved buttercups, not my summer squash or pumpkins. Will they lay eggs all over the plant, or just around the bases?? Needless to say, I will be checking the plants for damage and trying to remove the larvae, if necessary. I had minor damage two years ago, but none last year. I'm hoping to avoid any major damage.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spotted the dread moth

We live in northwest Iowa....spotted our first SVB moth last Friday on BatWing pumpkin plant and over the weekend we have killed 14 of them. Some were mating on top of leaves and found a couple dead that way---we had sprayed with Eight last week to combat cucumber beetles and so it must have done the trick on the SVB moths.
Was happy to see the dead ones. Nothing more satisfying to know that we can't stop them all but we took care of some.
A couple of them we watched them land and the moths climbed down to the base of the plants before we killed them. So that is where I figured they would be laying their eggs. The ones on top of leaves were mating here and were a lot easier to kill.
Now we count off 2 weeks and wait for the borers to emerge.
Between the nasty thunderstorms and the bugs I am feeling a little stressed.

o
RE: Spotted the dread moth

Is it possible to spot the eggs and destroy them? Anyone know? I haven't been able to spot anything resembling small brown eggs on the stems.

I gleefully murdered a squash vine borer moth yesterday.
Of course, it probably did it's damage before I caught it. I've never had any luck removing the larvae.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here