Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
appaloosagirl_gw

Bushel gourds in the Pacific NW

appaloosagirl
18 years ago

Has anyone had luck growing Bushel gourds in the Pacific Northwest area, if so, what was your secret? Any special fertilizer? I'm just wondering if I can expect decent sized gourds, or any at all

Thank you so much! (I'm new to gourds)

Comments (6)

• Belgianpup
    18 years ago

That would be extremely tricky. The problem is that the big gourds require 150 days to grow, that's 5 solid months. IF you started them on May 1 in the garden (maybe under Sparkletts 5-gal jugs w/the bottoms cut out, and had warm days (& preferably nights, too) until the end of September, you MIGHT be able to do it.

I grew bushel gourds when I lived in Nevada, and tried the birdhouse gourds here, but I just couldn't get them to mature, and they all rotted. But I'm on the west side of the Cascades. If you're over on the dry/warm side, maybe you could do it next year, as I think you're too late for this year.

The only exception I've heard of is from a woman I met in a bookstore. She had dedicated her entire greenhouse to the project, planted the gourds in the heavily manured earth floor of the greenhouse, kept the greenhouse open on both end for air circulation, and managed to get some to ripen.

Sue

• gourd_girl
    18 years ago

HI
    I live in washington state - puget sound area- I've done a bang up job of growing gourds here. I start all my seeds in a small greenhouse in late april then transplant them to bigger pots and eventually put them outside in mid june. I get around 100 to 200 gourds a season. I've grown cannon ball, dipper, bottleneck and host of others. I am trying the bushel gourds for the first time this year. You have to have sun sun sun and plenty of room for air circulation.
    Best of Luck
    gourd girl

• janmar
    18 years ago

Hi Appaloosagirl, I live on the Eastern side of WA where gourds grow profically due to our long hot summers. Although I have grown gourds in the past, these days I usually take a short trip to a Hermiston, OR gourd farm where they have thousands and thousands (no, really) of many varieties of gourds from huge kettle gourds to egg gourds. It's a wonderful resource for gourd artists who can't grow a wide variety. Good luck finding and/or growing gourds. You're in for a great time. J

• Belgianpup
    18 years ago

Gourd Girl, if you manage it, could you post on this board and brag a bit, and give detail how you did it? I would surely love to do it myself, I'm so. of Oly.

Janmar, could you give the name of that place in Hermiston? Are their prices reasonable for the big gourds? I'm looking for some kettle gourds.

Sue

• janmar
    18 years ago

Hi Belgianpup, (I.m a Pom-pup, myself) The name of the grower is Jack Bellinger at Bellinger Farms. Here is their web address. Jack sells gourds for VERY reasonable prices, and if you buy a lot, they are even more reasonable. I am going to go back in a week or so because he had some wonderful huge canteen gourds that I just couldn't reach at the top of a gourd mountain. Will wear climbing clothes next time. He did have quite a few large kettles, you just have to be persistent with the hunt and be willing to scout through numerous huge bins for those perfect gourds. Best, J

http://www.easternoregonmall.com/B/Bellingers_Stand/bellinger_stand.htm

• huggins
    18 years ago

Hi--I live in N IL and have planted Bushel Gourds for the first time this year and even with the drought they seem to be doing well-I think I need to thin them out some so I can get bigger gourds--I will let you all know how I do in a few more months--I have other types planted also but the bushel ones are growing faster and I am keeping my fingers crossed--Have fun--Nancy

Sponsored