Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Possible solutions to squash problems

Posted by shebear z8 NCentralTex (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 08 at 1:25

Lately I've been reading old garden books. I've done this because it appears somewhere things have been forgotten. Maybe because chemicals became more available or maybe just because, but needless to say solutions to problems that don't include chemicals don't seem to be out there.

Take squash bugs.......I don't remember grandpa having problems with squash bugs but for the life of me I can't remember what he did. However, in this old book, I found some things I'm going to try. So this fall I'm planting summer squash and using rows cover until they bloom. Then I'm burying the stems up to where they start to flower. Also I planting nasturiums and radish in with the squash....right next them and up around the base of them. I'll also ring them in french marigolds. And if that doesn't keep the bugs away, I guess I'll buy squash.

Anybody have any other ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Possible solutions to squash problems

I forgot one idea.......misting with imitation vanilla.

Well at least it would smell good.

o

Back in the thirties, folks tried to hold back the squash vine borer by covering the base of the plant at ground level with fresh chicken manure. Still lost the squash plants but it did seem to buy a little time.

o

I wonder if the flyer that lays the borer eggs is attracted by the color of the vines. Perhaps someone could try using a red coloring on the bases of the vines and see if those vines get fewer borers.

Some of the more modern articles on dealing with borers suggest wrapping the bottom 10 inches of stem with tin foil as it confuses the flyer with respect to the sun thereby disrupting its egglaying. Another suggestion is to put diatomaceous earth on the base of the vines. Perhaps spraying Bt on the vine base would kill the newly hatched borer as it begins chewing the stem.

o

Hi! Here's something I read in the Joy of Gardening about trapping squash bugs, not the squash vine borer: at night lay a slightly raised board in the bed, then watch for bugs that congregate there overnight. Maureen

o

• Posted by shebear z8 NCentralTex (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 24, 08 at 23:09

Thanks for you input. I'll add them to my list of remedies.

o

You can't go wrong with radishes around your squashes!! I haven't seen a squash bug all year and I probably won't.
I still have the borers though.. you can trap the moths that cause them with a bottle trap with vinegar and water.

o

Oh thanks chickenista, I've never heard of the vinegar and water thing.....and I forgot about the radishes. I have about 12 squash seedlings ready to go in so I guess I'll have to find some bottles.

o

..one organic method that works is to place a small piece of wood like half a shingle near the root or any branch and then in the early morning pick it up and turn it over.and you will find the squash bugs that collected there for the nite..they are very sluggish then and will not move..just scrap them into a jar or disposable container..but do not touch them as their odor is extremely foul..then search the under side of nearby leaves for eggs and remove them too..

donc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here