Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much to water pumpkins in AZ.

Posted by CaptainInsano AZ 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 1:36

Hi, I am planning a small pumpkin patch, I checked my county extension (Maricopa) and it says to plant in July, July is an extremely hot month here in Peoria, AZ. 110+. I am wanting to know what kind of watering regimen would get these guys through the summer, how much water and watering frequency, we do not get any sort of dependable rainfall, the monsoons could bring it, or it can be an off year with only a couple storms. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much to water pumpkins in AZ.

I'm in your zone but in CA...seems odd. We really don't get to 110. You'll have to figure out the watering, but I water about 3x a week at this time. It hasn't gotten too hot yet, just in the low 80's. Sometimes one of the pumpkin plants wilts a little, but I check the soil and if it's damp down a couple of inches I don't worry. If you mulch around the base of the plants, not touching the stem, it will help a great deal to retain moisture.

Bearing in mind that I've only grown pumpkins once before and my advice is worth all of 2 cents-- why don't you plant now? I planted mine quite some time ago and have green as well as orange pumpkins at this point. Last year I picked the pumpkins when the vines started to look bad, and it was well before Halloween. I sat them on a clean dry surface in the shade, and they lasted over a month until Halloween. Just keep them dry underneath, no insects hiding, and avoid breaking the skin with any cuts. Don't pile them on one another.

o

Thanks, I am planning on starting tomorrow, our forecast for this week is above 110 everyday with a lows of 90, so I am just throwing them to the fire, oh well I'll see how it goes.

o

Can you erect some sort of shade device for the seedlings until they get established?

o

Well I have been thinking on that and have decided to plant corn interspersed in a three sisters fashion not sure about going with the beans though but in the mean time I was thinking of putting plastic milk wires over them while they germinate and for a short time after to help them get established this will let sun in but have a fair amount of shade as well, also protect them from the little rabbits, they never seem to bother my plants much but do like to burrow down a little to give themselves a cool place to hangout.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here