Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone planting pumpkins in Arizona or other desert?

Posted by growingup 8a tucson, az (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 07 at 3:08

I feel as though they are fighting for survival, but they are growing. My leaves are about 6-8 inches in diameter, and while there are a lot of vines starting to shoot, I have no flowers yet. Monsoon season is just around the corner so hopefully, temps will drop and rain will fall but until then, my plants are very pale. I've treated them with fish emulsion fertilizer and have recently added compost and new soil around them. The are watered with a soaker drip system 3 times a day, but still, as with everything in my garden, grow painstakingly slow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone planting pumpkins in Arizona or other desert?

I used to garden (8 plus years) in the high desert of Hidalgo, Mexico. The lay of the land looked a lot like your area. Most of my American varieties of squash and pumpkin struggled there. I could coax them along by using plenty of compost in their soil and faithful irrigation. The local variety of squash, called Calabaza de Castilla, however, did extremely well in those conditions. Regional adaptation is for real!

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

I LIVE IN PHOENIX ANDI PLANTED SOME IN MARCH. THEY GREW UNTIL LAST WEEK THEN FELL OFF THE VINE. BUT IT WEIGHTED 47 LBS. I AM HOPING THE VINE WILL PRODUCE ANOTHER BEFORE THE SEASON IS OVER.

o

Way to go!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here