Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer squash for Fall planting ?

Posted by kvbch Zone6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 7:09

I'm wanting to make a fall planting of summer crook-neck
squash and need to know when to plant the seeds. Years ago when I tried this I remember planting the seeds in early September during a very typical hot spell, and the seeds never did even sprout.

Should I plant earlier? Or, I read somewhere that I could pre-sprout the seeds by folding them inside a wet paper towel for a few days....help? Suggestions??

Kev

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer squash for Fall planting ?

The average crookneck takes about 50 days to make edible fruit, but in the fall the plants take longer due to shorter daylight hours, so I would suggest that you count back about 70-75 days from from your fall frost date to plant. Unless you have early frost, you should get 10-15 days of harvest maybe more if you cover your plants on frosty nights. They are very susceptible to frost. Germination has not been a problem for me.

o
RE: Summer squash for Fall planting ?

And yes, you can sprout the seeds inside a wet paper towel. Slip it inside a baggie and set on a window sill that gets sun and they should sprout in just a couple of days. Then pot them inside as well if you like and transplant when the plant is bigger. I do all my squash this way, some cucumber and melons also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here