Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa0626

New to growing pumpkins

melissa0626
15 years ago

Hi! I need help...I think I am doing something wrong...I planted my pumpkin seeds before memorial day and they still sort of look like seedlings...they are starting to get a bunch on leaves but not getting vines yet like I thought they would. I have put miracle grow on them. I have four hills...I would appreciate any advice...my kids are so excited to have their own pumpkins this year....

Thankyou!!!

Sincerely, Melissa

Comments (6)

• sueloring
    15 years ago

Give them a little more time....they need some really warm temperatures to take off and start vining.
    Keep your plants moist....but not drenched.
    You can add some compost or manure around base of pumpkins to give them added nutrients.You can find bags of manure at Home Depot or Menards for about $2 a bag.
    Miracle Grow is okay but I would only use that about every 3 or 4 weeks.
    You still have a couple months for your pumpkins to grow...it has been a slow year for our pumpkins also. They were not growing much with all the cool nights
    ...this last week we have had 80+ degree temperatures and our plants have really took off.

• chris_in_ca
    15 years ago

How are your plants doing now? I found that once it got hot here (SF Bay Area) our pumpkins took off. The bees have been very busy and we now have 8-10 pumpkins. The kids are stoked!

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith Family Garden Blog

• ladyoutlaw619
    15 years ago

i am having such issues with my pumpkins. i planted them in april they were coming out beautiful, now they are looking horrible. i have no idea what is causing the problem, but i have bought miracle grow, also bug spray for the pumpkin patch & also mildew stuff too. it looks like it is dying. i got white stuff going all over them i dont know what else to do. I live in San Diego, California where we are known for the best weather in the world here. can any one help or have any ideas what i can do? here are the pictures....thanks. cause if they get any worse im gonna just rip them out, im just so frustrated with all of this happening. i planted this with my 7 year old autistic son he cried so bad seeing that it is dying, i felt so bad, i know he doesnt understand but i do know this plant means alot to him. so any if anyone has any ideas how i can fix this it would mean alot to me. thank you.
    {{gwi:852801}}
    {{gwi:852803}}
    {{gwi:852805}}
    {{gwi:852807}}
    & this last picture was taken today the one above this was taken 2 weeks ago....
    {{gwi:852808}}
    {{gwi:852809}}

• jeremynjz6
    15 years ago

With the small amount of dirt the plant is growing in, it could be getting dry too quick or staying wet too long. How many hours of sun does the plant get in the shady corner ? I don't know how many hours it needs, but the lack of sun could be a problem also.

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

Did you see my reply to you in the other thread you postedhere. If you haven't take a look my advice still applies, especially since I know what zone you are in now.

What is the wet spot in the third picture? Is that from the water bowl in the second picture? Another thing to watch out for is maybe your dog is peeing on them, that would do them in. The tips of the vines look like they are doing much better in the third picture than in the second picture where they were stunted and yellow. You can cut off the brown and yellow leaves this will remove some of the disease problems and make the plant more attractive. The white stuff is likely powdery mildew, which is manageable if the plants are vigorous.

• melissa0626
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi! I now have some flowers on my pumpkins but they look like the flowers are starting to die... my plants aren't too big either... I tried miracle grow and put some nitrogen on them. It has been a weird summer here not to hot and raining alot... I hope we get something...

Thanks for all the help! Melissa

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County