Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephaniehs_gw

Sowing seeds next to mature pumpkin plant?

StephanieHS
9 years ago

Hi! I sowed some pumpkin seeds last month and the plants were doing wonderfully�.until some nasty vine borers took out 9 of my 10 plants. :( The good news is that I've got enough time to sow more seeds and still have pumpkins in time for Halloween. My question is, should I pull the last plant before I sow? I'm worried that having a seedling next to a more mature plant is bad or that the last plant still might have a vine borer, though I see no evidence on it. Any advice much, much appreciated!!

Comments (2)

• Christian
    9 years ago

Hi,
    Some advice... first of all how big is the remaining plant? If it looks healthy, and you dont notice any frass or bloated, yellowing sections of the vine, then its fine. I would suggest just checking for any eggs, removing them, and covering the vine as much as possible with dirt or some mulch. This encourages the vines to send many secondary roots down.

I would go ahead and plant more but first get yourself a big piece of tulle fabric. Get the 108" wide, maybe 20 ft. long section. Cover your new seedlings (bunch up the extra material next to them) but cover them well, so the egg laying moths cannot get to them. That's how the borers get into your plants. The moths fly and lay eggs on your vine.

As the vine grow, keep them covered with the tulle as much as possible until you get female flowers that open up. Then you can remove the covers. When you remove them, make sure you cover the crown of the plant and as many of the vines as possible with mulch or dirt.

• StephanieHS
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you SO much! I'm going to get the tuille today. What a great idea :) I thought that vine borers came up out of the dirt when eggs from previous year hatched, I have a brand new raised bed and was so confused. If I hand pollinate the pumpkins, should I just leave the tulle in place?

1 more question if you don't mind - I have a cuc plant nearby that is thriving but looks like it might have a borer as well. I left it in the ground - hoping to make some pickles before it withers. Should I remove it too? By leaving it am I just inviting another infestation?

This post was edited by StephanieHS on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 12:16

Sponsored