Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Female flowers opened before male?

Posted by williammorgan 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 9:19

Anyone ever experience this? I don't ever remember it. I've got some pumpkins on a hill with female flowers open but the male flowers are closed. In all my memory of growing pumpkins I'm used to seeing male flowers open 1st. We just had a lot of rain and with that darkness. Could that have prompted the female flowers to open 1st?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Female flowers opened before male?

I have no idea, but I just had the same thing happen with my butternut squash. I've had about 5 female flowers open in the last few days, but no male flowers yet.

o
RE: Female flowers opened before male?

Rain and darkness... that sounds like the typical spring and early summer around here. And my squashes always put out female blossoms ahead of the males. Maybe the weather and soil composition, who the heck knows. Right now I have two zucchinis with all kinds of female blossoms of all sizes queued up for the next month. Scarcely a male blossom in sight. Luckily, I also have some Delicatas growing nearby. This happens with Pepos, Maximas and Moschatas alike, every year without fail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here