Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squash and Zuke not maturing (yes, I had pollinate)

Posted by rstorch OKC (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 9:41

I've been reading up on squash and zucchini not maturing past the size of 2-3" and most suggest hand pollinating. I do that each day, but am only seeing about 10% of my baby veggies mature. Any other suggestions? Wondering if I might have a soil issue, but not sure what to look for. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squash and Zuke not maturing (yes, I had pollinate)

Sorry you haven't had a response before now. My first thought is that you are experiencing a normal attrition of immature fruit. Squash usually set on more little fruit, especially when they first start setting fruit, than they can support. Hence many wither and drop off within a week. This is normal. You will get good fruit set. These little fruit can also be eaten.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o
RE: Squash and Zuke not maturing (yes, I had pollinate)

First, you have to distinguish MALE and FEMALE flowers. Once you know that you pollinate the females only(with male). My summer squashes are just blooming. I pollinated one yesterday and one today. Remains to be seen. But over the years I have pollinated tens of bottle gourds and nothing failed. Those gourds' flowers open after sundown, when the bees are gone home. And the flowers close next morning before the bees come to work. Only night flying moths(if any) can pollinate them. But I did not see them either.

Actually , hand pollination has a better chance, since I pick a male flower, strip all of its petals then touch the female organ wit it. If I have more than one female, I can use the same male on other ones too. The only reason that I can think of why it might not work is that the plant aborts it , for some other reasons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here